Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Fortran compiler: "libiomp5md.dll missing" message while using static runtime library

Ioannis_K_
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have just installed the oneAPI HPC Toolkit for Visual Studio 2019. I try to run a Fortran console app that I built using the static multithreaded runtime library. When I try to run the executable, I get the message that libiomp5md.dll is missing. This was a message that I would expect to see whenever I build using dll runtime libraries, not static ones. 

Is there a reason for obtaining this message? I am pretty sure I had never seen it when using older versions (e.g., 2019 ones) of the Fortran compiler with static runtime libraries.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Barbara_P_Intel

There is no static runtime library for OpenMP on Windows.  See this table in the Fortran Developer Guide.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

There is no static runtime library for OpenMP on Windows.  See this table in the Fortran Developer Guide.

0 Kudos
Ioannis_K_
New Contributor I

OK, thank you. This only applies for oneAPI, correct? I want to ensure that I understand why I did not have this problem with earlier versions of the Intel compiler.

Also, shouldn't my system be able to find libiomp5md.dll? I do have it in my installation of Intel oneAPI.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

I have a copy of the PSXE 2018 Fortran Developer Guide and it says the same thing, no static OpenMP library on Windows.

Somehow your path is not set correctly. My Windows skills are weak.

I suggest you post this question on the Fortran Forum.  That's the best place to get your Fortran questions answered for all flavors of Intel Fortran.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

For a number of years, EXEs compiled with Intel Fortran require libiomp5md.dll to be available through PATH. With OneAPI, that DLL should exist in 

...\ONEAPI\compiler\latest\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler\

for the 64-bit DLL. This is true even for EXEs built with all other libraries linked statically.

Locate the directory on your PC where this DLL has been installed.

When you get the "...dll missing" message when attempting to run your EXE, check PATH and rectify as appropriate.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I think it has been at least six years since a static OpenMP library was provided on Windows. It's still there on Linux.

0 Kudos