Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fortran compiler

Gabriela_B_
Beginner

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this kind of help.. but I really don't know how and what else to do..

Forgive me if I say something stupid, that's because I have no previous programming knowledge at all.

I need to type a fortran program, but installation is not working for me.

I downloaded this: parallel_studio_xe_2017_setup, and Visual Studio community 2015.

During the installation, (as you can see on pictures 01 to 03), there were a few "pre-requisite issues summary" I should have installed before (or could install after, I guess. I don't know!)

I opened visual studio and a project that i have, but after build solution.. it failed. (picture 04)

I wrote a "INCLUDE 'link_fnl_shared.h' " but i know something is missing.. 

I guess its because the "pre-requisite issues summary" i didn't installed before. But the big (stupid, i know) problem is that I don't know how to install it. I'm trying to read all this 'release notes' the site says about, but is not helping.. because I really have none knowledge to deal with that.

Anyways.. just know i found how to install "x64 compiler and tools", one of the requisite.. but I have the erros still.

Can anyone.. try.. maybe.. hopefully.. help me?

Thanks and sorry for that.

Gabriela

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

This question is appropriate to the companion forum about Intel Fortran for Windows (or, see below, Intel C++), not this forum, which is probably the reason you aren't getting replies.

If you are installing against VS2015, you must return to the VS2015 install menu and add C++ support (and possibly select the supporting libraries).  On your 3rd screenshot, you were given a URL to follow for detailed instructions.  The Visual Studio requirement pertains only to the Intel C++ compiler; the Fortran installation should have completed instead with a supplied Visual Studio Shell.  So, after adding Microsoft C++, you would remove and reinstall the Intel Parallel Studio from your downloaded files.

The fnl_shared stuff pertains to the extra cost IMSL option of ifort.  Without that, there is no such component.  There are a few experts on the IMSL on the Fortran Windows forum.  If you did  refer to IMSL in your project, you must complete that part of the installation (probably a new one, not one left from a past version).  I don't know if there is a Parallel Studio package including all of Fortran, C++, and IMSL.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Repost in the Windows Fortran forum ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/ ), where this post belongs. 

Please get rid of the useless image attachments (because of the poor resolution, the first three are unreadable). Post the plain text instead.

You have to configure VS for using IMSL. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-and-using-the-imsl-libraries/ .

TIM: The file 'link_fnl_shared.h' has nothing to do with C or C++. It is a one-line file in the IMSL include directory, containing:

!dec$ objcomment lib:'imslmkl_dll.lib'

That is not sufficient to make any IMSL module files available to the compiler, if the user's code contains F90 style calls to IMSL. In fact, some of the newer routines in IMSL have no public F77 interfaces at all, so USE statements must be employed to access those routines. The .mod files are in the same folder, and its path may be added to %INCLUDE% in the VS configuration, or one could use the FFLAGS environment variable associated with IMSL.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I moved the thread to the Windows forum.

In addition to what was said above - especially regarding IMSL being an extra-cost option and not available for evaluation, I was able to make out that when you installed Visual Studio 2015 you let it use the defaults, and this means it won't include C++ support which Intel Fortran requires. Run the VS2015 installer again, select Customize or Modify, and check the box for C++ Language Support. This will at least allow you to use Fortran - I assume you downloaded our free trial so that is good for 30 days. You still won't have access to IMSL.

0 Kudos
Gabriela_B_
Beginner

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

I moved the thread to the Windows forum.

In addition to what was said above - especially regarding IMSL being an extra-cost option and not available for evaluation, I was able to make out that when you installed Visual Studio 2015 you let it use the defaults, and this means it won't include C++ support which Intel Fortran requires. Run the VS2015 installer again, select Customize or Modify, and check the box for C++ Language Support. This will at least allow you to use Fortran - I assume you downloaded our free trial so that is good for 30 days. You still won't have access to IMSL.

Thank you so so much for helping me.

I downloaded a free, non-commercial license for qualified students. (I am studying a marters degree. Not in computer programming, but I need to work with Fortran, at this time. :) )

I thought about installing Visual Studio again and select Customize but that was a lot of 'check boxes'.. And I don't know which ones I should check.

So, I chose Modify and checked the box I founded: "Common Tools for Visual C++ 2015". And installed it.

Now, I am trying to understand what to do about the other pre-requisite, that says:

"Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 does not have C++ "X64 Compiler and Tools" componentes installed."

Intel(R) C++ Compiler for Intel(R) 64 and Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler for Intel(R) 64 will not build using Microsoft Visual Studio 2015."

I can superficially understand that something need to be set for 64-bit application developmet. 

Besides that,

to solve the Installing and using the IMSL Libraries problem, I followed the steps from here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-and-using-the-imsl-libraries/

Is that right? 

Thank you so much and my apologies for wasting you time.

(And please, excuse my incorrect English)

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The situation is not quite clear to me yet, but I gather that you are trying to run Fortran applications that require IMSL, but using a trial license/Ifort installation. As Steve Lionel told you, you can repair/redo the compiler and Visual Studio installations, but you will still not have IMSL.

If you have no interest in trying out Fortran itself, without IMSL, there is little to be gained by trouble-shooting the trial Ifort package installation. The procedure in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-and-using-the-imsl-libraries/ is to be used only after IMSL has been obtained and installed.

0 Kudos
Gabriela_B_
Beginner

mecej4 wrote:

The situation is not quite clear to me yet, but I gather that you are trying to run Fortran applications that require IMSL, but using a trial license/Ifort installation. As Steve Lionel told you, you can repair/redo the compiler and Visual Studio installations, but you will still not have IMSL.

If you have no interest in trying out Fortran itself, without IMSL, there is little to be gained by trouble-shooting the trial Ifort package installation. The procedure in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-and-using-the-imsl-... is to be used only after IMSL has been obtained and installed.

Thanks for answering my doubts! :)

I am trying to run Fortran applications and that requires IMSL.

I have this erros after build solution:

error #5102: Cannot open include file 'link_fnl_shared.h'

error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file.  Check INCLUDE paths.   [NUMERICAL_LIBRARIES]

I installed VS 2015 and parallel_studio_xe_2017_setup. My serial number (to download Parallel Studio XE Cluster) is for student.

Valid until September 2017.

I don't know how to (or find to) download and install this libraries. I mean.. Can't I have this IMSL because of my student license? 

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There is no free IMSL available; whether you buy it as part of an Intel Fortran package or as an add on package, you have to pay a fee for it. Please see http://softwarestore.ispfulfillment.com/Store/Product.aspx?skupart=I23Sc6 .

If you describe which IMSL routines are needed, we may be able to suggest some alternatives that are either in the MKL library (which you have) or as open source elsewhere. However, using these alternatives will be feasible only if you know programming in a language such as Fortran, C or Python.

0 Kudos
Gabriela_B_
Beginner

mecej4 wrote:

There is no free IMSL available; whether you buy it as part of an Intel Fortran package or as an add on package, you have to pay a fee for it. Please see http://softwarestore.ispfulfillment.com/Store/Product.aspx?skupart=I23Sc6 .

If you describe which IMSL routines are needed, we may be able to suggest some alternatives that are either in the MKL library (which you have) or as open source elsewhere. However, using these alternatives will be feasible only if you know programming in a language such as Fortran, C or Python.

Oh, thanks. I really thought IMSL could be avaiable for free. I didn't realize you said it before.

I might try MKL then. At this first time, I need a low-level routine, to solve a non symmetric matrix.

From linear equations LAPACK routines -> Routines for Solving Systems of Linear Equations.

I guess that is it. I'm working on that now, learning programming in Fortran, as you said.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Gabriela B. wrote:

At this first time, I need a low-level routine, to solve a non symmetric matrix. A routine from BLAS, right?

No, a routine from Lapack. However, MKL contains Lapack, BLAS, and more. For your non-symmetrix matrix, you may use the ?GESV family. The '?' stands for 'S', 'D', etc., for Single-Precision, Double-Precision, etc. Or, you may call GESV through the Lapack95 interface. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/468876 .

0 Kudos