Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28442 Discussions

Fortran visual studio compatible with windows10

kleiner__isabelle

I have problem executing a code compiled (successfully it seems) with visual fortran XE 2013 on a newly bought PC (64 bits) using windows10

the error message is "this application cannot run on your PC".

does anyone know which version of fortran visual studio is compatible with windows10 ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That version should work fine, Would you please create and attach a ZIP of the buildlog.htm from the Debug or Release folder after doing a full rebuild of your application? Also right click on My PC, select Properties. Take a screenshot of the Properties window and attach it to a reply here.

It would also be useful, if you're willing to do it, to ZIP the EXE that does not run and attach it as well.

0 Kudos
kleiner__isabelle

Dear Steve,

thank you for your answer. indeed you were right, the Windows 10 works fine with this fortran version. My code was the problem....

after I posted the message yesterday I run in the debug mode. There was an error message saying that image size exceeds maximum allowable size (80000000) ...(even tough there was no error message in the release mode, Strange?). Anyway I thus went into the code and decrease the dimensions of my matrices. , then it runs  in the 32 bits.

But resolving one problem just brings another one... I actually need to go higher in my matrices dimensions. I read somewhere that if one does use "Allocate" instead of "Common" AND runs in the 64 bits , one could get through large sizes ? 

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:

That version should work fine, Would you please create and attach a ZIP of the buildlog.htm from the Debug or Release folder after doing a full rebuild of your application? Also right click on My PC, select Properties. Take a screenshot of the Properties window and attach it to a reply here.

It would also be useful, if you're willing to do it, to ZIP the EXE that does not run and attach it as well.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

A 32-bit program has a total memory restriction of 2GB (or 3GB with a change in BOOT.INI).
All programs have binary load format limitation of 2GB for any single "section" (.code, .data, .bss, etc...)

The program heap is .NOT. a section so it does not have this limitation **** however only the available remaining virtual memory (of the 2GB or 3GB) is available for heap.

Running as 64-bits unfortunately has the  limitation of 2GB for any single "section" (.code, .data, .bss, etc...), therefor this does not resolve an issue with COMMON exceeding this limitation.

Note, if your requirements are such that your initialized arrays can be less than the section limitation, you can declare your uninitialized arrays as allocatable (then allocate at program start). This might be relatively easy to implement in legacy code.

If your initialized arrays require more than this limitation (2GB), then you will have to place the data into a file (which potentially can be a resource read from the .exe if you want to hide the data).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/memory-limits-applications-windows for more information on this issue.

0 Kudos