Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28759 Discussions

Full windowing of Fortran applications

davinci
Beginner
I have to develop Fortran applications with more Windows functionality than QuickWin offers
(toolbars, treeviews, successive tabpages for many plotarea's, resizing the area's, mouse-detection, excel-i/o, ActiveX interfaces...etc.).

See for instance this url amibroker for an impression.

I might start with CVF-Samples, Norman Lawrence's book, C++, VB, Delphi. From a (VMS) Fortran point of view certainly not the easiest way to solve my Windowing needs.

- Who has substantial experience with Fortran-Windows programming and has a suggestion ?
- Who made a comparison between the libraries GinoMenu and WinterActer or any other full Window/graphic toolkit ???
- Who already created or creates similar windows interfaces ?????

It might be nice finally to add a working example to the CVF-samples.

Thanks, Davinci
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
If I were to program something like that, I'd probably choose Delphi. It's pretty RAD, produces efficient executables, has a lots of built-in controls & stuff, very nice class model, and awful syntax (which, of course, cannot be more awful than VB) :-). Of course, if you're not familiar with it (I wasn't when I started playing with it), it has learning curve of its own (but I think it's reasonably steep).

Given your familiarity with Fortran, a close choice would be Winteracter/Ginomenu. Sorry, didn't use them, I've only heard many positive opinions on comp.lang.fortran. I'll let others comment.

I've developed quite a few Windows applications using pure API, but I admit it's kind of pain. Although one has the power to do all the subtleties one needs, sometimes it's quite tedious to develop (semi-)routine tasks, such as dockable windows or rebars. Having at least a part of
such stuff in a ready-to-use library is a big relief. And there aren't many for Fortran.

Jugoslav
0 Kudos
hweisberg
Beginner
Why does it have to be a Fortran application?
0 Kudos
davinci
Beginner
Why Fortran ? For 3 important reasons:
1. it is a number crunching app
2. I like it
3. Real Programmers don't use Pascal see why here
0 Kudos