Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Getting message /opt/intel/mkl/10.2.1.017/lib/em64t/libiomp5.so: no version information available, why and is it bad?

crtierney42
New Contributor I
When I run a program I just built, I get the following error message:

./wrf.exe: /opt/intel/mkl/10.2.1.017/lib/em64t/libiomp5.so: no version information available (required by ./wrf.exe)

The code seems to run fine. Although I haven't tried running it with more than 1 OMP thread.

What causes this message and is it a problem?

Thanks,
Craig
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Stephen_D_Intel
Employee
Hi Craig,

From googling "no version information available", it looks like you have an older version of libiomp5.so in
/opt/intel/mkl/10.2.1.017/lib/em64t than the version that your program was compiled with. The dynamic
linker is most likely picking up this directory from the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

I was able to generate this message by building a simple OpenMP program and then modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to include a directory of an older MKL version.

Try running ldd on your application and see if the shared object references are resolving to older versions of
libraries. If you are running your application on a system where the compiler is installed, you would expect to
see the reference to libiomp5.so resolved against that location and not the MKL location.

You should be able to modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH to change the search order of the directories used by the
dynamic linker.

Regards,
Steve D.
Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
crtierney42
New Contributor I
Hi Craig,

From googling "no version information available", it looks like you have an older version of libiomp5.so in
/opt/intel/mkl/10.2.1.017/lib/em64t than the version that your program was compiled with. The dynamic
linker is most likely picking up this directory from the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

I was able to generate this message by building a simple OpenMP program and then modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to include a directory of an older MKL version.

Try running ldd on your application and see if the shared object references are resolving to older versions of
libraries. If you are running your application on a system where the compiler is installed, you would expect to
see the reference to libiomp5.so resolved against that location and not the MKL location.

You should be able to modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH to change the search order of the directories used by the
dynamic linker.

Regards,
Steve D.
Intel Developer Support

It wasn't that it was older (technically) is that I was including MKL and Fortran on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. When I ensured
that the Compiler path was first, the error went away.

Thanks,
Craig

0 Kudos