Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Getting text from an edit box control

steven_j_
Beginner

I am writing a simple windows application and in my main window message processing function I create a child window that is an edit box:

btn = ior(ior(WS_CHILD, WS_VISIBLE), ES_LEFT)
        hEdt2 = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, "Edit"C, ""C, btn, 101, 134, 100, 20, hWnd, 10, ghInstance, NULL)

This executes correctly and I get a child window that is an edit box control. Note that this child window resides in the client area of my main window; it is not part of a dialog box.

I enter text into this edit box and I want to read that text into a character variable. I tried the GetWindowText(hEdt2, ...) function and that returned an empty string. I tried SendMessage(hEdt2, WM_GETTEXT, ...) and SendMessage(hEdt2, EM_GETLINE, ...), and they also returned empty strings. How can I read the text from an edit box control that is not part of a dialog box?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Both method should work but remember if your string is gbuf you will probably need  to pass loc(gbuf) in the LPTSTR for the Sendmessage

0 Kudos
Paul_Curtis
Valued Contributor I

not 'probably' --

rval = SendControlMessage (hwnd, controlId, WM_GETTEXT, length, LOC(contents))

0 Kudos
steven_j_
Beginner

My bad - I forgot to declare the edit box handle with the "save" attribute. When I did, both GetWindowText and SendMessage (using loc function) worked correctly.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Glad you fixed It Steven,

@Paul, LOL yes not "probably need", I think I meant "probably need to add because you maybe haven't already"  

0 Kudos