Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

HOWTO : Launching idb as an argument of mpiexec command ???

gondrin
Beginner
Hello,

I am trying to do something very simple, I have recently installed ifort 11.1 (/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/bin/intel64/ifort) on my linux ubuntu 10.04.
It woks well and I can compile my program and execute it as a parallel program with the following command :
mpiexec -np 8 ./program

I also have installed the intel debugger idb (/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/bin/intel64/idb).
The problem is that I would like to use idb, but I can't.

I have tried the following commands :
idb mpiexec -np 8 ./program -> it does not work !

mpiexec -idb -np 8 ./program -> it does not work, because idb is not recognised as a valid option of mpiexec.

I am desperately looking for a solution, before my tired eyes start to roll off their orbits ...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Perhaps the docs are too wordy, but they're important, and, as you can see, they have been updated the last 2 weeks. They appear to confirm there's no GUI capability for use with mpiexec, so you must use idbc. IDB_command_reference.pdf
As you come close to pointing out, with a non-gui debugger unaware of MPI you can start several instances by mpiexec -n 8 idbc ./program ....
If you continue to have difficulty with the order of the options for Intel mpiexec, the cluster and HPC forum might be the place. If it's not Intel MPI there won't be a -idb option, but there may be a generic debugger option.
0 Kudos
pbkenned1
Employee
The defect regarding lauching the GUI under mpiexec is described here. It may be fixed in a future version of IDB.
Patrick Kennedy
Intel Developer Support
0 Kudos