Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

HPC 2021.4 "abstract interface" ICE

scivision
New Contributor I

oneAPI 2021.4 gives better Fortran 2018 support, however the following construct continues to fail with "ifx".

Windows:

> ifx -c abstract.f90
xfortcom: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).
compilation aborted for abstract.f90 (code 1)

Linux:

/intel/oneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/bin/xfortcom[0xd9d2a9]

abstract.f90: error #5633: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

that works with "ifort":

module bug

abstract interface
  real function fun()
  end function fun
end interface

contains

subroutine canary(f)
  procedure(fun), pointer, intent(in) :: f
  real :: a

a = f()
end subroutine canary

end module bug

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Khalik_K_Intel

Hello,

Barbara is correct. Unfortunately, the fix is not available in the latest release, but it should be included in the next release.

I will update this forum once the fix is available for you. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Khalik.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Please be aware that many F2018 features are not yet implemented in ifx.  ICE is not a particularly good way to say that, tho.  This article lists the Fortran and OpenMP standards their status with ifx.

0 Kudos
Khalik_K_Intel

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support.

I agree with Barbara that ICE is not a best way to indicate an unsupported feature.

I have contacted Intel Fortran Development team to get this fixed.

Regards,

Khalik.

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@Barbara_P_Intel , @Khalik_K_Intel ,

Technically the code in the original post refers to a Fortran 2003 feature.  The Intel link provided by Barbara above re: support for modern Fortran features in IFX doesn't get into details adequately here but the suggestion from the table in that link is IFX supports this.   Thus the ICE may simply be due to a compiler bug in IFX rather than missing support, worth a check with the compiler team.  

0 Kudos
scivision
New Contributor I

This Fortran 2003 `abstract interface` is still broken in oneAPI 2022.1 release with same symptoms/error.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

I just checked the bug report.  It looks like the fix will be in the next release in calendar year 2022.

0 Kudos
Khalik_K_Intel

Hello,

Barbara is correct. Unfortunately, the fix is not available in the latest release, but it should be included in the next release.

I will update this forum once the fix is available for you. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Khalik.

0 Kudos
scivision
New Contributor I

I was mistaken about release numbers. The oneAPI 2022.1 release did fix this issue. Thank you.

0 Kudos