Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

How is to specify debug target?

suresh_p_1
Beginner

I would like to debug programs written in visual studio. However, whenever I click on start debugging it says "Visual Studio cannot debug because debug target has not been set". I tried several things, but no luck. Can someone post detailed instructions. BTW, I'm using "Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE2013 with Microsoft Visual Studio"

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jauch
Beginner

Hello again Suresh

I think your problem isn't related with intel fortran itself, but with learning to use Visual Studio...

Are you sure that you can at least COMPILE your program for DEBUG? I mean, BEFORE trying to execute it...
If there are errors that prevent the compilation, the executable will not be created and the debug session will not start.

Eduardo.

0 Kudos
suresh_p_1
Beginner

hello Eduardo,

yes i have compiled the program with no errors. i was able to run from command. You are right it is all about learning how to use visual studio. i truly appreciate some instructions on this because documentation is not that clear.

suresh

0 Kudos
suresh_p_1
Beginner

Yes I can compile without errors. Btw, I can run it from command line. when I'm developing apps in visuall studio I rather stay within visual studio (debug) and make sure it works. 

Please advice on steps on how to debug the program within visual studio

0 Kudos
Anthony_Richards
New Contributor I

If you are compiling an .EXE, make sure you have selected the DEBUG configuration. The RELEASE configuration contains no debug info.

If you are compiling and debugging a library (.LIB or .DLL), you have to specify an executable that, when started, calls your library and your library must be the DEBUG configuration. In this case, It may also help if your test program is also compiled in the DEBUG configuration too.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

When you say you are "compiling", exactly what are you doing? Building an EXE has two steps: compiling the sources and linking the executable. If you select Build > Build Configuration, it should do all this for you.

0 Kudos
Ever_B_
Beginner

I created a new Fortran Project with just a simple Main program. 

In VS 2008 I do: Build>Build Solution, everything compiles and links OK.

When I do Debug>Start Debugging, or hit F5, or click on the green triangle, I get the message: "Visual Studio cannot debug because debug target has not been specified

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Please ask in one thread only. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/287867

0 Kudos