Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

How to select 9.1 after installing version 11?

a_leonard
Beginner
After installing version 11, I don't see 9.1 in the compiler choices in the options in Visual Studio anymore, only various builds of 10.1 and 11.0. It looks like 9.1 is still intalled on my PC. I need to build some executables with the old version because the results change slightly with the latest version. How do I get back to 9.1?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
a_leonard
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Current 11 versions give me a warning about allowing only 2 major version of ifort to remain integrated in VS. So, you would have to remove versions down to a single 10.1 or 11.x version, and repair/reinstall 9.1 if you want VS integration. In the mean time, you should be able to run 9.1 from command line.
If I want to run 9.1 from the command line, I'll need to create makefiles by hand, I guess. I have a solution with 42 projects and a couple hundred source files.

How do I remove 10.1 from the integration?
0 Kudos
a_leonard
Beginner
After uninstalling all but 11.0.074 and 9.1, I still only have a choice of 11.0.074 in the compiler selection.

It looks like my best option is to use a PC that does not have the 11.0 installation to build with 9.1. I will have to use the project files that were saved before we converted them for version 11.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - a.leonard
After uninstalling all but 11.0.074 and 9.1, I still only have a choice of 11.0.074 in the compiler selection.
I mentioned that you would need to repair or re-install 9.1 to recover VS integration.
0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - a.leonard

It looks like my best option is to use a PC that does not have the 11.0 installation to build with 9.1. I will have to use the project files that were saved before we converted them for version 11.

What version of Visual Studio are you using ?

You don't need to use makefiles on a Windows system.
Assuming you still have V9.1 installed then just open a v9.1 command window (from Start -> Programs -> Intel Software Development Tools -> Intel Fortran Compiler 9.1 -> Build Environment etc).
Go to the directory containing your solution, and type :

devenv /build (or /rebuild)

where Configuration is either "Debug|Win32" or "Release|Win32"

I don't have v11 installed on my system yet, (I have 9.1 and 10.1 on VS2008) but the above justcompileda spare test project I have, so any problems you have could be integration related and/or VSconflicts.

Also, if you had 9.1 and 10.1 installed and then installed 11thenI think9.1 would have "dropped off" the integration as I believe only 2 compiler versions are recognised (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case then you may need to do the v9.1 VS integration step again before VS will "see" it.

Les
0 Kudos
a_leonard
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
I mentioned that you would need to repair or re-install 9.1 to recover VS integration.
I uninstalled 9.1 and re-installed it, but I still don't see it listed as a choice.
0 Kudos
a_leonard
Beginner
Quoting - Les Neilson

What version of Visual Studio are you using ?

You don't need to use makefiles on a Windows system.
Assuming you still have V9.1 installed then just open a v9.1 command window (from Start -> Programs -> Intel Software Development Tools -> Intel Fortran Compiler 9.1 -> Build Environment etc).
Go to the directory containing your solution, and type :

devenv /build (or /rebuild)

where Configuration is either "Debug|Win32" or "Release|Win32"

I don't have v11 installed on my system yet, (I have 9.1 and 10.1 on VS2008) but the above justcompileda spare test project I have, so any problems you have could be integration related and/or VSconflicts.

Also, if you had 9.1 and 10.1 installed and then installed 11thenI think9.1 would have "dropped off" the integration as I believe only 2 compiler versions are recognised (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case then you may need to do the v9.1 VS integration step again before VS will "see" it.

Les

I'm using VS 2005 (8.0.50727.867).

Even in the 9.1 build environment command window, it builds with 11.0. I don't know how to set the compiler when running Visual Studio from the commant line.

Compiling with Intel Visual Fortran 11.0.074 [IA-32]...
0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - a.leonard

I'm using VS 2005 (8.0.50727.867).

Even in the 9.1 build environment command window, it builds with 11.0. I don't know how to set the compiler when running Visual Studio from the commant line.

Compiling with Intel Visual Fortran 11.0.074 [IA-32]...

Mmm It sounds like an integration with VS problem. Presumably as part of the re-install of v9 itshould have gonethrough the step to integrate with VS.It might be worth a try to do that step again.

Les
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I don't see how the 9.1 build environment window would select the 11.0 compiler - there isn't a way it can do that.

The 11.0 integration will not allow selection of the 9.1 compiler from Visual Studio.
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
What's the last version of VS that can integrate v 9.1 on Vista x64?
0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - gfthomas8
What's the last version of VS that can integrate v 9.1 on Vista x64?

I have Vista 64 withVS2008integrated with 9.1 and 10.1
Les
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Right - the 10.1 integration will allow selection of a 9.1 compiler.
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
Right - the 10.1 integration will allow selection of a 9.1 compiler.

Thanks Les and Steve.

Can I integrate 9.1 into VS 2005 and 11 into VS 2008 on Vista 64? Will 9.1 run on wow64 or 64? I'm a newbie to Vista 64.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, you can do that. Do a "Change/Modify" of version 11 and remove the integration with VS2005. Delete any "Intel Fortran" folder left in the Visual Studio 8 folder (If you skip this step, then the 9.1 integration may not install). Then reinstall 9.1 (it will ignore VS2008).

9.1 should work ok in that environment, even the x64 version.
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
Yes, you can do that. Do a "Change/Modify" of version 11 and remove the integration with VS2005. Delete any "Intel Fortran" folder left in the Visual Studio 8 folder (If you skip this step, then the 9.1 integration may not install). Then reinstall 9.1 (it will ignore VS2008).

9.1 should work ok in that environment, even the x64 version.

I'm puzzled. In a fresh install of Visual Studio 2005 (for 9.1) and Visual Studio 2008 (for 11) on Vista 64, how do Iproceed? I'm assuming that 9.1 will integrate into VS 2005and 11into VS 2008 and never the twain shall meet. Naturally I'd prefer to have just one VS installed but I guess I can't if I want access to 9.11 and 11 on the same PC.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Assuming a fresh install, install 9.1 normally. Then install 11.0 but select a Custom install. Deselect the option to integrate into VS2005. (You could also do this in the reverse order.)
0 Kudos
pbkenned1
Employee
Quoting - a.leonard
After installing version 11, I don't see 9.1 in the compiler choices in the options in Visual Studio anymore, only various builds of 10.1 and 11.0. It looks like 9.1 is still intalled on my PC. I need to build some executables with the old version because the results change slightly with the latest version. How do I get back to 9.1?

Every IDE version supports the current and two previous versions of the compiler, so the 11.0 IDE supports compiler versions 11.0, 10.1 and 10.0, and doesnt support version 9.1. For additional details, please see:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-many-compiler-versions-may-be-integrated-into-visual-studio/
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
Quoting - tim18
I gave partly wrong advice, according to my own misunderstanding of this. Not many would want to keep both 10.0 and 10.1 installed, after 10.1 superseded 10.0 entirely, but regressions from 9.1 hadn't all been dealt with. 11.1 should catch a few of those, but side-by-side comparisons, and possibly project transitions, will remain impeded.

What does this mean? Is there something here for the IVF user of 9.1 1 and 11.1 or is this some kind of intelnal chit chat?
0 Kudos