Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

How to tune performance running Fortran code in VS 2019 with Intel Classic 2021

MarieJC
Novice

Can you think of any properties under Fortran or Linker that would speed fortran program execution? I can share our current settings if needed.

I used to work with C# in Visual Studio and I would use JetBrains performance analysis tools which are not available for the Fortran.

The performance of exactly same Fortran program is twice or more slower in VS2019 with 2021 compiler than it is when compiled with 2011 version of Inter compiler in an older version of development environment. We were trying to match the settings between the two.

My team would appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Intel VTune Profiler is a performance analyzer that works for Fortran. It is part of the Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit.

In the past, when I have seen similar complaints, it turned out that the build using the newer compiler was inadvertently using a Debug configuration.

MarieJC
Novice

Thank you, Steve. I'll get that tool a shot.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You should compare the build options between the two. This can be found in the buildlog.htm in the output folder.