Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28594 Discussions

IDE for Intel Composer XE for Windows -

Rey_d_
Beginner

We are looking to purchase a license for the Intel Compose XE for Windows with both Fortran and C++ compilers. The product release note says the installation comes with a MS Visual Studio 2010 shell for compiling, building and debugging Fortran application. I would like to know if this shell is a full fledged IDE and if so, is the IDE limited to Fortran applications only or if C++ applications can also be debugged through it?. Or should we separately purchase a Visual Studio license for use as IDE for C++ applications?.

Thanks

Rey

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

I remember asking similar questions a few years back, the sales literature makes it difficult to finds the answers.

Fortran is bundled with VS2010 shell which is a full IDE for Fortran (no resource  editor for windows apps as this is part of MS C/C++). You CANNOT use Intel C in the VS2010 shell. You can build C on the command line and use obj/lib code created with Fortran projects in the shell.

If you buy a full VS version with MS C/C++  then Fortran with integrate into this. I am unsure if Intel C integrates into ANY version of VS due to MS licence restrictions but perhaps others can comment.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The Visual Studio Shell provides practically all facilities of the full Visual Studio except for C and C++ development.   I suppose there are possibilities for C++ with WinDbg if you don't have full Visual Studio.  All qualifying versions of Visual Studio are available on 90 day trial, so you can be assured whether they meet your requirements, and can be converted to paid license.  Installing ifort with the Visual Studio Pro or Ultimate supports both Fortran and C++ (and mixed language) development.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

To clarify - what we provide is a complete Fortran-only development environment based on VS2010 Shell. It has NO Microsoft language support (and also cannot be used with Intel C++).

If you want to also do C++ support, then as Tim says, buy Visual Studio (2013 is probably best, Professional Edition or higher) and you will be able to develop with all the MS languages plus Intel Fortran in that environment.

0 Kudos