Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28594 Discussions

IF 7.1 projects not creating .lib files

steveuk42
Beginner
I am having a problem linking my program. I am using VC.NET 2003 and IF 7.1 with both C++ and Fortran projects. Each project is a Dynamic-link Library project. I have the settings for the Fortran linker to generate an *.lib file for my fortran projects.

For Fortran projects, a .dll and .pdb file is created, but no .lib file.

For C++ projects, a .dll, .pdb, .lib are all created.

I need this .lib file for each project to link my solution. Does anyone know why this would happen??

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Usually, it's because you haven't added an appropriate DLLEXPORT directive.

Steve
0 Kudos
steveuk42
Beginner
I apologize I failed to mention that the .lib file is built fine when using Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6b to compile.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Well, the answer is sort of the same. The compiler needs to recognize a DLLEXPORT directive. If you think the Intel compiler is not doing this properly, submit a support request (with sample) to Intel Premier Support.

Steve
0 Kudos
steveuk42
Beginner
My project now produces a .lib file, but I get unresolved linker errors.

Heres the fortran code I have:

subroutine myfunc(param1)
!MS$ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT:: MYFUNC

! some if statements and other code

end

And in my C++ project that calls this function I have the following

extern "C"
{
void __declspec( dllimport ) __stdcall MYFUNC(float* param1);
};

double Cthick::Foo(double h, double w, int t, int s, int hd)
{
float _param1 = 1000.f;
MYFUNC(&_param1);

return param1/1000.f;
}

Here is the error I get when linking:
error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__MYFUNC@108 referenced in function "public: static double __cdecl Cthick::Foo(double,double,int,int,int)" (?Foo@Cthick@@SANNNHHH@Z)

I still do not understand why this works with CVF6.6B, but not IF7.1
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Does it really say MYFUNC@108? That makes no sense to me. I would expect __imp__MYFUNC@4. Why do you have braces after 'extern "C"'? I'm not really a C++ expert but I've never seen that before.

Note that for this to link, the C++ code needs to link to the export library created by the DLL build.

I suggest you wrap this up in a ZIP file and submit a report to Intel Premier Support. There's not enough here for me to know what is going wrong. Be sure to include all files that can reproduce the problem.

Steve
0 Kudos
steveuk42
Beginner
Ok, I think I have an idea of whats going on.

Yes you were correct, it was MYFUNC@4
(My function really has 21 parameters hince 108, but i took it down to 1 just for simplicity here)

Anyways..

Back to the problem...

I compiled with Intel 7.1 integrated into .NET2003 and I did a dumpbin /exports file.lib and it shows:

File Type: LIBRARY

Exports

ordinal name

1 _MYFUNC

Now.. when I compile with Compaq 6.6b and run a dumpbin I get:
Dump of file file.lib

File Type: LIBRARY

Exports

ordinal name

1 _MYFUNC@4

This happens with other functions as well. It adds the underscore fine, but it's almost like Intel just is not putting the @4.

So thats the reason why when I run with Intel it cant find _MYFUNC@4, now how can I fix this?

(I tried using a def to export instead in both compag 6.6b and Intel 7.1 and the same thing happened)
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Intel Fortran and CVF use different default calling conventions. Intel Fortran uses the C convention, where one does not put a @n on the name, and CVF uses STDCALL, where one does. This in itself would not be responsible for not exporting the .lib file.

But I now see at least part of the problem. The C++ code uses __stdcall, which no longer matches the Fortran code if you build with Intel Fortran. Remove the __stdcall.

Steve
0 Kudos
steveuk42
Beginner
I was unaware of that!

However my project does create a .lib file now, but the new problem is linking(see a couple posts up).
My C++ project cannot find _MYFUNC@4

So since Intel has a different calling convention, do you think my problem could be how I call the function in my C++ file?

Thanks for all your help!

Steve
0 Kudos
steveuk42
Beginner
It compiles now!!!

The problem was the way I called the function on the C++ side...

I used int _CTHICKDLL __stdcall MYFUNC(params)

all I had to do was remove the __stdcall.

Again, thanks Steve for your help! This problem has been bugging me for a while!!

Now.. I hope the program will run...
0 Kudos