Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28591 Discussions

Initilization of Allocatble arrays ifort?

vinoth
Beginner

Hi Friends

I have a module which contains two subroutines in which (first subroutine) i use the allocatable attribute to allocate the space for arrays then do some computations and deallocate them at the end. My first subroutine is called more than 1000 times. My question (problem) is when i initilize the allocatable arrays to zero i get a different result and when i don't initilize them to zero i get a different results?.

First of all is it right to initilize the allocatable arrays to zero?. I have seen some threads but iam not able to come to clear conclusion.

I am compiling it in ifort version 12.1.3 Any help is highly appreciated. Below is my code for reference

subroutine rho_z
!===============
implicit none
  integer :: i,actual_particle,nrot
  integer :: max_pos
  real    :: ord_xx,ord_yy,ord_zz
  real    :: ord_xy,ord_xz,ord_yz

integer, dimension(:), allocatable :: index,jndex,counter

real, dimension(:), allocatable :: value_N,value_O,ord_z
  real, dimension(:), allocatable :: local_order,help_dip

real, dimension(3,3)            :: Q,eigen_vector_glob
  real, dimension(  3)            :: eigen_value_glob

allocate(index   (N_particle)); allocate(local_order   (N_particle))
  allocate(value_N (N_particle)); allocate(value_O       (N_particle))
  allocate(ord_z   (N_particle))

allocate(jndex     (maxchannel_rho));allocate(help_dip(maxchannel_rho))
  allocate(counter   (maxchannel_rho))

index=0; jndex=0; counter=0    ! Initilizing the allocatable arrays to zero

value_N=0.;value_O=0.;ord_z=0. ! Initilizing the allocatable arrays to zero
  local_order=0.;help_dip=0.         ! Initilizing the allocatable arrays to zero

Q=0.;eigen_vector_glob=0.
  eigen_value_glob=0.

ord_xx=0.0; ord_yy=0.0; ord_zz=0.0
  ord_xy=0.0; ord_xz=0.0; ord_yz=0.0
  nrot=0

do i=1,N_particle
    actual_particle=living_particles%item(i)

index  (i)=int((molecule(actual_particle)%z+0.5)/delta_rho)+1
    ord_z  (i)=molecule(actual_particle)%u_z  
    value_N(i)=1.0
    value_O(i)=0.5*(3.*molecule(actual_particle)%u_z&
                      *molecule(actual_particle)%u_z  -1.)
  end do

call av_add_hist(local_density,N_particle,index,value_N)

call av_add_hist(S_local      ,N_particle,index,value_O)

call av_add_hist(local_order_z,N_particle,index, ord_z)  !Binning the histogram order wrt wall normal

do i=1,N_particle

ord_xx=ord_xx+0.5*(3.*molecule(actual_particle)%u_x*molecule(actual_particle)%u_x -1.)
    ord_yy=ord_yy+0.5*(3.*molecule(actual_particle)%u_y*molecule(actual_particle)%u_y -1.)
    ord_zz=ord_zz+0.5*(3.*molecule(actual_particle)%u_z*molecule(actual_particle)%u_z -1.)
    ord_xy=ord_xy+1.5*    molecule(actual_particle)%u_x*molecule(actual_particle)%u_y
    ord_xz=ord_xz+1.5*    molecule(actual_particle)%u_x*molecule(actual_particle)%u_z
    ord_yz=ord_yz+1.5*    molecule(actual_particle)%u_y*molecule(actual_particle)%u_z
  end do

ord_xx=ord_xx/N_particle
  ord_yy=ord_yy/N_particle
  ord_zz=ord_zz/N_particle
  ord_xy=ord_xy/N_particle
  ord_xz=ord_xz/N_particle
  ord_yz=ord_yz/N_particle

Q(1,1)=ord_xx
  Q(2,2)=ord_yy
  Q(3,3)=ord_zz
  Q(1,2)=ord_xy
  Q(2,1)=ord_xy
  Q(1,3)=ord_xz
  Q(3,1)=ord_xz
  Q(2,3)=ord_yz
  Q(3,2)=ord_yz

call Jacobi(Q,3,eigen_value_glob,eigen_vector_glob,nrot)

max_pos = maxloc(eigen_value_glob,1)

do i=1,N_particle

index           (i)=int((molecule(actual_particle)%z+0.5)/delta_rho)+1

local_order     (i)=molecule(actual_particle)%u_x*eigen_vector_glob(1,max_pos)+&
                         molecule(actual_particle)%u_y*eigen_vector_glob(2,max_pos)+&
                 molecule(actual_particle)%u_z*eigen_vector_glob(3,max_pos)

help_dip (index(i))=help_dip(index(i))+local_order(i)

counter (index(i))=counter(index(i)) + 1        !Counter for no.of particles in a bin

!write(*,*)help_dip(i),counter(i)
  end do

do i=1,maxchannel_rho

jndex(i)=i

if(counter(i).gt.0) then

help_dip(i)=abs(help_dip(i))/float(counter(i))

else

help_dip(i)=0.

endif

!write(6,*)counter(i)
  end do

call av_add_hist(local_dipol_or,maxchannel_rho,jndex,help_dip)    !Binning the histogram local dipolar parameter

deallocate(index)   ;deallocate(jndex)

deallocate(value_N) ;deallocate(value_O)

deallocate(help_dip);deallocate(ord_z)

deallocate(counter);deallocate(local_order)

return  

end subroutine rho_z

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

First of all is it right to initilize the allocatable arrays to zero?. I have seen some threads but iam not able to come to clear conclusion.

Arrays as well as scalar variables, whether allocated on the heap or the stack, have to be initialized before they are used. The programmer is responsible for doing the initialization, which can be done by (i) executable statements that assign values to the variables (assignment statements, READ statements, ...), (ii) initialization by DATA statements or (iii) default initialization of user defined types.

Zero is often not a proper initialization for a newly allocated variable. For example, character variables and logical variables cannot be initialized to zero. Likewise as to the speed of light, the age of the Earth, the number of atoms in the universe, etc. The proper initialization value is quite domain dependent, and you need to judge what is proper for your application.

0 Kudos
vinoth
Beginner

@mecej4  Thank you very much for your clarification. To me it,  still looks like zero is the proper initilization for my application because i am going to keep on adding numbers between 0 to 1 in the repective array elements. Kindly, let me know if you have any comments.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Just a comment on mecej4's reply - DATA statements can't be used with allocatable arrays.

vinoth, only you can determine whether 0 is the correct initial value. It seems that in this case it is. But the fundamental issue is that you are responsible for making sure that every variable is properly initialized before it is referenced.

0 Kudos
vinoth
Beginner

Thank you Steve for your inputs.

0 Kudos