Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Installation of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020 is stuck in integrating with Visual Studio 2019

zhang__keke
Beginner

Hello!

I got some problems when I install Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020 Cluster Edition for Windows on  Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019.  The installation  is always stuck in the step of "Visual Studio 2019 integration" and it seems that no progress is made.  I'm sure that the Desktop development with C++ component is already installed in Visual Studio 2019. I also tried the different version of Visual Studio and Intel Parallel Studio (VS2017 and Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 Update 4). The problem still exists.

Could anybody tell me how to solve this issue.

Any direction with this issue would be great.

Many thanks,

Keke

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

Integration takes longer on some systems. 

0 Kudos
zhang__keke
Beginner
Devorah H. (Intel) wrote:

Integration takes longer on some systems. 

Many thanks for your answer. I have waited over 24 hours for the integration. But it is still not finished and the process bar doesn't move. Is it normal for such a long integration time?
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

No - you need to uninstall all of vs and fortran and start from scratch

0 Kudos
Wilson__Paul
Beginner

I'm having the exact same issue when trying to install to a standalone system (not attached to the internet). I have a completely fresh install of Windows 10. I first tried installing VS2019 followed by Parallel Studio 2019 Update 5. This freezes during the Visual Studio integration phase - I gave up after waiting about 3 hours and this subsequently corrupted by Visual Studio install. I then reinstalled Windows 10 and tried with Visual Studio 2017 Parallel Studio 2018 update 3. This installed (after about 1.5 hours but with an error saying the integration had failed and pointing to a website for further information). I looked at the website and it said that given this message the installation should be complete and no action required. However, I have no apparent integration when opening Visual Studio - no FORTRAN templates etc. This has taken days of effort and everything I read seems to indicate INTEL are taking little or no action to sort these issues out. What combination actually will work? All I am doing is basic installs to a fresh installation of Windows 10 - why is this all so difficult!

0 Kudos
_Y
Beginner

I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
_Y
Beginner

When install stuck.
1.End installer task.
2.Restart computer.
3.Go to control panel repair  parallel studio.
4.Go to visual studio installer repair vs.

0 Kudos
allard__sebastian1

I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

*Y wrote:

When install stuck.
1.End installer task.
2.Restart computer.
3.Go to control panel repair  parallel studio.
4.Go to visual studio installer repair vs.

Repair often does not work -- I would suggest you 

1. uninstall all Intel versions -- you may find you have several 

2. uninstall VS -- all versions 

3.  You can then clean your computer -- if you like cleaning -- or not as recommended by Dr Fortran -- I do -- personal preference

4. Pick the lastest VS you can use --  I suggest VS 2019 Community 

5. You need to pick the correct install options for Fortran -- look at the installer text

6. Then install the latest Fortran you have 

7. If that does not work then you are in a deep place that is not nice -- usually at that stage I reinstall Windows -- but remember I maintain many computers - reinstalling windows is a few hours work and it makes me feel better. 

Dr Fortran would not recommend step 3 and 7 -- he is very good and I would do that first. 

0 Kudos
Zurrin__Ryan
Beginner

I had my initial install get stuck there as well, and when I rebooted and restarted the installer, I went through the whole process of picking the directories and then the license was there already so I chose to use that and when i was picking the packages to install i noticed it was a very small couple hundred MB and not gigs and when i hit install there was about 20 things all having to do with the VS 2017 and 2019 integration but It did not freeze this time and completed the install and now seems good.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

As the great Abibi of the desert once said to his fifth son, if the camel is not dead do not shoot it. 

I have quoted Abibi for many years to my work mates and children - in a famous marathon a man named Abibi won the marthon - my kids were impressed, I did not have the heart to tell them it was an act of God - ie a coincidence

0 Kudos
krishna_m_
Beginner

Dear Nichols

Can you elaborate: 

3.  You can then clean your computer -- if you like cleaning -- or not as recommended by Dr Fortran -- I do -- personal preference

Do we want the cleaning process at the registry level? ie. removing all the References of olf VisualStudio/ifort/etc/ from the registry level?

I just confused here. I am about to install MVS Community 19 + parallel studio

thanks in advance

Krishna Mohan GP

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Please do not try to "clean" the registry. It will not help and can make things worse. Just install normally and let us know if there are problems. Be sure to follow the instructions in https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/installing-microsoft-visual-studio-2019-for-use-with-intel-compilers.html

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Do what Steve says  -- if you do not understand do not do it. 

0 Kudos
krishna_m_
Beginner

Ok, Steve and Nichols; and thanks for the info

km

0 Kudos
martin__randall
Beginner

I am having the same issues others have had. I upgraded to Visual Studio 2017 Professional and couldn't get my prior version of Parallel studio to work with it. It was time for my annual update, so I paid for that and installed the latest Parallel Studio 2020. It froze at step 74 of 74 integrating with visual studio.

I have gone through the various suggestions including the integrate.bat to register DLL's. Have tried repairing Parallel Studio. Have even uninstalled both visual studio and Parallel Studio and then re-installed them. registered DLL's again. Nothing works.

What else is there to try?

Randy

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Randy, at this point I would contact Support. https://supporttickets.intel.com/servicecenter?lang=en-US

0 Kudos
Arebus
Beginner

Had the same issue, de-installed Parallel Studio 2020.

Installed the Desktop development with C++ in vs2019, see the following from intel:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/installing-microsoft-visual-studio-2019-for-use-with-intel-compilers.html

reinstalled Parallel Studio.

Everything went well after that......

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

While this may be my system, I cannot seem to get Parallel Studio XE 2020 Cluster Edition Update 2 to properly install and integrate with MS VS 2019 on Win7 Pro. I had had Parallel Studio XE 2020 Cluster Edition Update 1 installed and working for some time.

First attempt, resulted in hang at system integration with MS VS 2019. After about 4 hours of hang, the system rebooted. Upon attempted examination MS VS 2019 was gone, shortcuts were there but folders were not.

Second attempt Reinstall MS VS 2019, install PS 2020u2 different hang.

Third attempt, uninstall all previous Intel versions (hydra wouldn't uninstall), uninstalled MS VS 2019, rebooted, reinstalled MSVS2019, installed PS 2020u2, it claimed it finished integration.

Launching MSVS2019, with IVF solution, Build would work yea, went to VTune, buttons present but greyed out.

Tried Repair, re launched MSVS2019 with solution, desktop with project showed, but with whirlly  wheel and background tasks are running. Never got to a point of accessing edit box or tool bars.

Went back to Uninstall programs to Repair MSVS2019 and it is not listed in the installed programs.

My assessment is PS2020u2 is corrupting the registry with respect to MSVS2019.

In process of uninstalling some dangling MS VS components, Intel components, then reinstalling MS VS2019, and then trying PS2020u1 (what used to work). On second thought, maybe I will start with first edition of PS2020, then work forward should that succeed.

I lost 2 days of work so far....

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Some updates are best avoided. I personally now avoid being fast on the update [ short pause whilst I clear the survey pop-up again     ] mostly it is OK but problems with VS integration are not that uncommon. 

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Well this is even more unsettling, after uninstall of PS2020u2, uninstall of VS2019, repair VS2019, attempt to launche MS VC hello world solution, VS hangs.

Next attempt uninstall of VS2019, install VS2019, test...

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos