Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Installer says another instance of the installer is running

Sourish_B_
Beginner

Hello,

This is my first time posting to this forum, not sure if this is the right forum for this question. Apologies if that is not the case.

Some time back I had installed Intel Parallel Studio XE on my 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 machine, at which time I had only installed a few selected components. Recently, I realized that I needed to install Vtune amplifier to profile my code. So I downloaded a file called "parallel_studio_xe_2015_update3.tgz", un-tar-gzed it, ran the installer and chose to modify my installation. At this point, I got a message saying that there was another instance of the installer running (there wasn't). The full screen looks as follows:

This product is already installed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation program has detected that at least one component of the product is 
already installed. Select one of the following options to continue: 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Modify the installation [default]
2. Repair the installation
3. Uninstall the product

h. Help
q. Quit
Please type a selection or press "Enter" to accept default choice [1]: 1
Another instance of the installation program has been detected. Please quit the 
other instance and try again.
Press "Enter" key to quit:

I've even tried rebooting the machine, to kill off any processes which might be causing this. But this is a perfectly reproducible problem. Has anyone seen something like this before? How do I get the installer to run?

Thanks,

Sourish

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Among the peculiarities of VTune is that it can't coexist with other versions of VTune.  So you must search out and uninstall all versions of VTune before installing a new one.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

What you described occurring is not expected. We expect the Modify to proceed and suggest components that can be installed.

I will open a private communication with you to see if we can gather some logs from you to help us investigate the apparent second installer instance.

0 Kudos
ashish5679
Employee

Hi,

Why private conversation, please post reult in forum.

0 Kudos
Sourish_B_
Beginner

@Tim: I don't have any other version of VTune installed. What the installer is finding is another installer process running, not another VTune installed.

@Kevin: Thanks! I look forward to the debugging process.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Sourish - Thank you again for the details you provided. I forwarded those to our Installation Development team (see internal tracking id below) for their analysis and will keep you posted on what they find.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200375186)

(Resolution Update on 11/20/2015): This defect is fixed in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 1 Release (PSXE 2016.1.056 - Linux)

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Sourish - I know you have the work around for this for PSXE 2015. I just received confirmation from Development that the underlying defect is also now fixed in our upcoming PSXE 2016 Update 1 release due out shortly.

Thank you for making us aware of this defect.

0 Kudos
Saibal_A_
Beginner

Sourish/Kevin - Can you please let us know the work around? I am facing the exact same issue.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

@Saibal - I sent you a private communication.

0 Kudos
Cesar_M_1
Beginner

Maybe someone could make the solution public, since I am having the same problem.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The "solution" is to use the PSXE 2016 Update 1 or later which contain the officially supported fix. The work around I do not want to make public.

Are you unable to use our latest PSXE 2016 Update 3 release?

0 Kudos
Michael_G_2
Beginner

Kevin D (Intel) wrote:

The "solution" is to use the PSXE 2016 Update 1 or later which contain the officially supported fix. The work around I do not want to make public.

Are you unable to use our latest PSXE 2016 Update 3 release?

I have the same issue as described in this thread.  Could you kindly send me the workaround? I'm on a linux machine.

0 Kudos