Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Installing oneapi on a NUC

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I have the NUC's that I use all over the place for gathering data.  The one on my desk I use as a test bed, returned the green screen of death after a recent update.  The BSOD is green in Windows preview, a frightfully horrid shade of green.  It would not repair. 

Yesterday, I decided to fix it, as I need to use it.  So after installing Windows 11 preview, which is actually pretty good, once you get used to the changes, I had to pick my daughter up from school.  (Hang in there, you can stop banging you head on your screen at the long story.)  and I grabbed some reading material.  It is a long slow line.  Maximum PC has an article on the new windows 11 and it talks about the chips that will not run Windows 11, anything before 2017.  So I am sitting in the car, thinking about Steve talking about his NUC's and I know the one on my desk is older than 2017, because Steve and I have been talking about them for a while.  But it appeared to load and run W11 fine.  

Upon returning to home and hearth, ok no hearth we live in modern America.  I checked and W11 should not run.  Interesting.  

So I went onto load VS 2019, and I like the VS 2019 preview.  But MS has turned off access to VS 2019 preview and they have shipped the last full release of VS 2019, and so when you attempt to download VS 2019 preview you get 2022 Preview.  I was not paying attention and so I ended up with the 2022 Preview.  

At this stage, I attempted to load the one api modules.  Both returned errors and a lengthy log file.  In the spirit of the Fortran crowd, I soldiered on and found that 2022 Preview really does stuff up the one-api install. Fortran is a complete no go and C# is like a mirage in the distance.  

So a complete uninstall, and removal of VS 2022, allowed for a complete and proper one-api install.  

Still no further on understanding why it runs W11.  

So the current update for VS 2019 is the preview from last month.  And it is the end of the line for development.  I cannot say that I like 2022, it is to raw and clearly Intel has to do the integration.  

But if you have an old computer, I would check the list of chips that will run on W11.  Max PC also talks about a TPM module of which I knew nothing.  

Windows 11 reminds me of one of those UNIX GUI's from the early 1990's.  We never change we just recycle. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I've never understood why you run preview copies of a released product. What's wrong with VS2019 Community Edition? I have this (and oneAPI) on my ancient (5th gen Core i3) NUC and it works fine.

As for Windows 11, the beta will, for now, run on older models, but the final release will not. I have only one system (a 10th gen i7 NUC) that qualifies for W11, and I am not interested in running the beta on it.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Just inquisitive, I suppose. Thanks for the response.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The only reason to run a Preview (beta) version is if you want to test how it works with your software, before the final release.  VS2019 has been out for two years now and is free. Intel tools will typically not work with Preview versions before release.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I agree, but with a 1 TB hard drive, it is easy to put a copy of VS 2017, 2019 and the 2019 preview on the same computer.  If one fails, you have the others, and in the early days of 2019, it had some problems with some of my code.  

VS 2022 is not something I want to play with until it is firmly released and the main extensions have been updated.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

But why 2019 Preview if you have regular 2019? MS stopped updating the 2019 Preview once the production release happened. Fall back to 2017 if you have problems in 2019.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

VS 2019 has for a while been tagged as .10 and the preview as .11 lately.

They were separate releases up until 13-20 of July 2021.  Now they are just .11, although the preview still has a preview tag and was updated just the other day.  From the about list they are the same. I am so used to running different VS on different computers that it is not really an issue, if something crops up and it does from time to time, one simply moves from one to the other and continues.  

If a computer has 500 GB then you do not run multiples, you are lucky to get one on, but with 1 TB you can run 3 easily.  I finally stopped installing 2017 as I have not had problems with either 2019 for a while.  

I have remote computers that have to self update and reboot, doing it manually is a long drive, so if something is going to cause a problem I want to know about it on my desk computer first.  

I am also a firm believer in Henry Ford marketing, you can have any colour as long as it is black.  GE did the same thing with train engines in the 60's. You can have any train you want from this set and we will let you pick the colours. 

I write software for a small group of people, and I have learned that no matter what you write they want something different.  A case in point, you can write a Word document in code to generate the doc file, it is a challenge, but doable.  I got tired of putting the generated graphs into word to show people and wrote some code to do it.  One user asked me what was this useless feature and another one said this is great, they want more.  

I suspect you could actually write it in Fortran, but after ICK, no thank you.  The same guy who wants the word documents, likes to configure his equipment one way, but the driver stopped working with USB after VS 2012, it is not a problem as the devices connects with ethernet, which is actually better for length, but he is insistent. So in my pile of old disks is VS 2012 I will see if I can get a version running just for him.  

This forum is a filter, it lets the nerdy people play and  find bugs and then report them, in real dollar terms you cannot buy that sort of QA.  For the simple problems you have the four Titans who can solve most things and then you have Intel people for the real bugs that need the compiler people to fix. The last you want is a real compiler person on this web site, they are to valuable to waste. 

Finally, there is a management consulting legend from the 70's, when MC's ruled the known world.  The main IBM Watson lab had a MC review, the team was told to make it more efficient.  At the end of the review, the lead guy sits down with IBM and says, we understand what everybody does except the guy in the corner office, he sits there drinks coffee and occasionally answers questions.  

The IBM manager is reputed in the story to have said, he is the guy that solves the problems no one else can solve.  He saves us millions a year, leave him alone.  I have no idea if it is true or just a legend, but I knew a few of those guys, I suspect mecej4 is one, and Jim.  

0 Kudos