Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28701 Discussions

Integrating Parallel Studio XE 2015 with Microsoft Visual Studio ommunity 2013

Elizabeth_T_
Beginner

Hello,

I have just installed Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 on my Windows 7 professional 64bit PC. My computer has an AMD Athlon II 635 Quad-Core Processor. Visual Studio Community Edition 2013 was previously installed.

I followed these instructions from the window that opened up in Visual Studio after Intel's Parallel Studio XE 2015 was installed:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Parallel Studio XE 2015\Documentation\en_US\professional_edition\welcomepage_studio_xe\get_started.html

Prerequisites

To initialize the Parallel Studio tools for Professional, or Cluster editions:

1. In a command window, cd to <install_dir>\Parallel Studio XE 2015
    By default, <install_dir> is C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel
  2. Run psxevars.bat 

at the command prompt I received the following message: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Parallel Studio XE 2015>psxevars

Syntax:

psxevars.bat <arch>

<arch> must be is one of the following

ia32               : Setup for IA-32 host and target

ia32_intel64  : Setup for IA-32 host and Intel(R) 64 target

intel64           : Setup for Intel(R) 64 host and target

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Parallel Studio XE 2015>

What do I do next and how?

I want/need to run Fortran in a 64bit environment.

Please assume I have little to no programing experience or understanding. However, I must teach myself Fortran. Fortran is not the best language for a beginner to start with, but is necessary for me and my project at this time.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Liz

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

You did not supply the needed arguments to the batch file. That is, instead of 

psxevars

type

psxevars intel64 vs2013

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The easy way to run Fortran or C++ command line is to open the command line window by

Start>Intel Parallel Studio XE2015>Compiler and Performance Libraries>Command Prompt with Intel>Intel 64 Visual Studio 2013 mode   (assuming you installed the "Intel 64" compiler)

If you want to know the full command executed by that shortcut, I have

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe /E:ON /V:ON /K ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\bin\ipsxe-comp-vars.bat" intel64 vs2013"

but, as another current thread says, you could replace SysWOW64 by System32 to run fully X64 mode.

Again, these assume you installed Windows 7 X64 to take advantage of your "64bit PC."  If you chose 32-bit mode, there will be similar names.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

May I suggest that you simply open Visual Studio 2013 instead and do your work there? It is a more comfortable environment than the command line.  With VS2013 open, select Help > Intel Compilers and Libraries > Begin using Intel Parallel Studio XE for Fortran Windows. This will lead you through the steps of creating a project and gives you links to documentation and samples.

Fortran is not a hard language to learn if you stick to the basics. This is no different than most other programming languages. The fundamentals you will learn will be applicable to other languages. Feel free to ask here if you need more help.

0 Kudos
Elizabeth_T_
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your responses. I have tried everything suggested here with mixed results.

Visual Studio still does not list any of the Intel compiler tools for C++ or Fortran when I try to start a new project, but it does now list the following under the Help tab:

Intel Compilers and Libraries
Intel Software Manager…
Intel Inspector XE 2015
Intel Advisor XE 2015
Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2015

If I Click on:

Help> Intel Compilers and Libraries> Begin using Intel Parallel Studio XE for Fortan Window*

Nothing Happens.

If I Click on:

Help> Intel Compilers and Libraries> Begin using Intel Parallel Studio XE for C++ Window*

Another window with documentation about the compiler opens up but I am unable to complete the instructions for staring a new Intel C++ Project.

For both Fortran and C++ if I Click on:

File> New> Project>

None of the Intel tools are listed only the tools that came with visual studio come up.

NewIntelProject.jpg

If I use the “Getting Started with Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 for Windows*” welcome page within Visual Studio and then under “Design and build your application”, click on “Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler”, then an error message is displayed stating “The Help for Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler XE is not available”.

Fortran not Avalible.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.

How do I get the Intel Parallel Studio tools to be properly integrated into Visual studio? Or have I made a mistake along the way?

Kind regards,

Liz

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You installed Parallel Studio XE after installing VS2013? Try the repair instructions in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/troubleshooting-fortran-integration-issues-with-visual-studio/ and see where that gets you.

0 Kudos