Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel 17 ICE, unique to v17

Ronald_G_2
Beginner

Steve, Kevin,

I've isolated an ICE occurring in 17 and 17 Update 1.  Doesn't seem to be in 16 Update 3, but haven't check the later v16 compilers fully.  Looks like IFORT Front-end. 

cat intel17bug.f90

module ice_transport_remap

contains

subroutine horizontal_remap ( mm)
         real (kind=8), intent(inout), dimension(:,:,0:,:) :: mm           
         ! local variables
         integer (kind=4) ::    iblk, nghost
         call make_masks ( nghost, mm(:,:,:,iblk) )
      end subroutine horizontal_remap

subroutine make_masks ( nghost, mm)
      integer (kind=4), intent(in) :: nghost
      real (kind=8), dimension (:,:,:), contiguous, intent(in) :: mm  
      end subroutine make_masks

end module ice_transport_remap

/users/green> ifort -c -O0 intel17bug.f90
intel17bug.f90(9): catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for intel17bug.f90 (code 1)

Can you send me the CQ number, either here or in private message?  Gotta document this for LANL.

Thanks Old Friends!

Ron

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi, Ron. I think this is the same as DPD200415576 so I am going to attach this example there. The one I had for that issue is larger and pickier about options than this one, so this is very helpful.

0 Kudos
Ronald_G_2
Beginner

We have a work around: removing CONTIGUOUS from 'mm' in make_masks.  We did that in the actual code.  Or changing the lower bound from 0:  in horizontal_remap, however that breaks the actual code.

thanks Steve.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I had to set -O1 to see this failure in 17.0.1.  Maybe CONTIGUOUS is ignored at -O0.

0 Kudos
Ronald_G_2
Beginner

Tim, are you talking about a bug you have or the attached example here?  This example gets and ICE at -O0.  It depends on the CONTIGUOUS attribute on mm.  If you remove contiguous this does compile w/o error.

0 Kudos