Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28602 Discussions

Intel Compiler V10.1 vs v12.0 vs Visual Studio 2005/2010

larryscheier
Beginner

I am running Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2005 and 2010 and Intel Fortran Compiler 10.1 w/ VS Integrations installed (Win32).

1) Is it possible to use Intel Fortran Compiler 10.1 (v10.1.4159.2005) with Visual Studio 2010? (This is not a big deal if the answer is no.)

2) Is is possible to have Intel Fortran Compiler v10.1 integration in VS 2005 and Intel FortranComposer XE 2011 in Visual Studio 2010 on the same PC?

Here is the reason I ask: When I attempt to install the latest Intel Fortran compiler (2011 XE 12.0) , I get the following message:

"Intel Composer XE 2011 installation can continue, but Intel Visual Fortran Compiler 10.1 Integration(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio* is already installed. If you proceed to install the IDE integration for Intel Composer XE 2011, you will be unable to use the Intel Visual Fortran Compiler 10.1, 10.0 or 9.1 within the Visual Studio IDE."

So I did not install Intel Composer XE 2011 because I still need to use Intel Fortran Compiler v10.1 with VS 2005 to maintain compatibility with some other programs. Is there a way to have these two different integrations in different VS versions, i.e., have Intel Fortran Compiler v10.1 integration in VS 2005 and Intel FortranComposer XE 2011 in VS 2010?

Thanks,

Larry Scheier

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
1. No

2. Theoretically, yes, but it is a bit tricky to set up. Here's what I suggest you do.

1. Copy the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Intel Fortran folder somewhere else
  2. Install Composer XE
  3. Delete the Intel Fortran folder from the above original location and then copy your saved folder into its place
  4. Download and run the attached Repair tool. If you are on Vista or Win7, right click on the EXE and select "Run as Administrator.
Let me know how this works for you.
0 Kudos
larryscheier
Beginner
Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply as always. I believe I followed your directions. When running the repairvs05integration.exe in administrative mode, I received the messages: "Error while unregistering VFProjConvert.dll. Error accessing the OLE registry." When I reopened VS 2005, the Intel Fortran 10.1 Integration was missing. So I reinstalled Intel Fortran 10.1 integration and everything in VS 2005 appears back to normal and working ok. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks again,
Larry
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If it's working ok for you, then there is nothing you need to do. My guess is that VFProjConvert is not working, but you probably won't need it.
0 Kudos