Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel Composer 2016

Hany_B_
Beginner

Hi,

Do I must have Visual Studio to use the composer. In the product definition, it was mentioned that a reduced environment is included with the composer and there is no need to buy the Visual Studio. However, after installing the composer, I found nothing about any IDE implementation or any interface with the compiler. My question is: did I miss something during the install?

Sincere Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

A version of Microsoft Visual Studio is required as discussed in the System requirements section of the Intel Parallel Studio XE Release Notes. It is not required that you purchase Visual Studio though. Many people (qualify) and opt for using the free Microsoft Visual Studio Community and others opt for using the Microsoft Visual Studio Shell that ships with our product, while others purchase Visual Studio. There typically are warning indications at installation time about not meeting the minimum Microsoft Visual Studio requirement so perhaps those were overlooked.

Which particular version of our product did you install?

0 Kudos
Hany_B_
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The full name of the product is: Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran and C++ Windows*

2016. In this case do I have to uninstall the composer, install the Visual Studio community and re-install the composer? Thanks a lot for your help.
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Ok, with that product you cannot use the Microsoft Visual Studio Shell that ships with our product. The MSVS Shell only permits integration of our Fortran product.

Yes, my advice is to uninstall your current Composer and then install the Visual Studio Community edition and then reinstall our product. A very important note that when installing the Visual Studio Community version, make certain during that installation that you select the C++ support. That is not selected by default and it is needed to support our compilers.

Good luck. Let us know if you have any other issues.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

In principle, you should be able to add support for a newly installed Visual Studio (of one of the required versions) by running the Modify option of your installed ifort.  It really doesn't make much difference, as long as you keep the unpacked install files in the Download folder, you can remove and reinstall from them.  If you installed ifort with VS Shell, which should happen if no qualifying Visual Studio was present, the Shell has to be removed in order to switch to full Visual Studio.  If you install an update of Parallel Studio, as you must do to work with VS2015, that should automatically remove the older PS (or at least offer to do so), but for me it doesn't necessarily work that way.

I'm not clear on what the original question was.  If you install a Parallel Studio which includes C++, the C++ won't run unless it is configured against Visual Studio (with the corresponding C++ options included in the case of VS2010 or 2015).   There should be a VS Shell IDE for ifort (if your PS includes ifort) if you agreed to let that happen in the absence of a qualifying VS.

0 Kudos