Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28454 Discussions

Intel FORTRAN and Open Source and installation questions

CSlat2
Beginner

Issue 1:

I have used Intel FORTRAN with my employer for years, but looking to show others how to use in Open Source community. Things such as:

• C/C++ & FORTRAN integration on Windows
  • Conan package management
  • CMake / Ninja for builds
  • VS Code
  • Git integration

My understanding is this work released under oh say an MIT license would allow me to use Intel FORTRAN for zero cost. Is my understanding correct?

Issue 2:

Finding a download link for the compiler is not simple... Where is it? And I know about Intel's licensing scheme, so how do I tell it I am Open Source and not a 30 day eval?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CSlat2
Beginner

Interesting that Intel only considers Linux for Open Source. Do you think this is an oversight?

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/parallel-studio-xe/choose-download.html

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I don't think it's an oversight, but rather a confluence of several things. Most open-source development has been traditionally linked to Linux, though there's no real reason that should be the case - I use lots of open source tools on Windows. More to the point is that Intel has not offered its C++/Fortran compilers free on Windows outside of a student environment, and there has been great resistance to expanding that due to past experience with misuse of non-commercial licenses. The "free to open source developers" program was a baby step - I don't know what the thinking is now in the compiler marketing department, which is where this comes from.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

experience with misuse of non-commercial licenses

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Human beans are very cost conscious. This means that if something is free for some, even the most hardened person can mentally explain to their satisfaction that a student licence applies to them because once 40 years ago, before they worked for a large company -- use any three initials large company, say JCN, although most people know this company as J-1, they were in Miss Shaw's kindergarten and she yelled at them, but still they are entitled to it free. 

0 Kudos
CSlat2
Beginner

I understand Intel's position completely. 

In my situation I am looking to retire within 1-2 years and want to give back, as I was given to by my mentors. 

Writing apps with the tools I listed above make it relatively easy for people to learn...So I will demonstrate with GForrtran or Flang ... it really is no big deal.

It's funny, growing up my father used to joke "locks only keep honest people out"  ... guess that works here.

I look forward to the up coming conference Steve.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

It's funny, growing up my father used to joke "locks only keep honest people out"  ... guess that works here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you really want Intel Fortran all the time,  it only requires you to reformat and reinstall Windows 10 every 30 days -- that is straightforward and easy and create a new account 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honest and honest intellectually 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

"locks only keep honest people out" 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intelligence Services are often honest folk, but they do not believe in locks.

When I was at ANU in Australia which has a world class cryptography school of math -- there were two PhD crypto students in my college, this is the mid 70's, one had created a lock box for secrets -- he was really really proud of his work

The young PhD lady on the day before he submitted his PhD thesis left a message inside the box asking him on a date. 

You have never seen a man so conflicted, but he swore for at least an hour. 

There are mathematicians, there are really good mathematicians and then there are those in Srinivasa Ramanujan's class -- I have been taught by one or two were really really really good.  She was in another world, but was really nice.  Those sort of people just disappear into another world. 

I heard a story once of a Professor who had published a lot of stuff of a secretive nature for the US Gov. His promotion committee were told his stuff is world class but you have to trust us. 

0 Kudos
CSlat2
Beginner

Being an engineer vs a scientist, I would have taken her up on the date.

But I am sure he slowed her down. :)

Seriously though, I respect Intel’s position and will abide by it.

My gut feel is I will use GFortran for my work. I want to show CMake/Ninja in both a Windows and Unix env, and Flang does not seem ready yet.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Being an engineer and a scientist I am bound by my code of ethics as an engineer and my curiosity as a scientist. 

Of course I follow the rules, but often counter intelligence requires you to think of the worst. 

She has the problem that everyone slows her down, aka Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes

0 Kudos