Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28590 Discussions

Intel Fortran Compiler 2024.2 for CentOS 7 with glibc 2.17

Gusman
Novice

After upgrading the Intel HPC Toolkit to the latest release 2024.2.0 on our Linux development server which runs CentOS 7 it turned out that the Intel Fortran Compiler 2024.2.0 now requires glibc 2.28:

/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2024.2/bin/compiler/xfortcom: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2024.2/bin/compiler/xfortcom)

Unfortunately, the latest glibc for CentOS 7 seems to be glibc version 2.17.

I tried to compile glibc version 2.18 from the GNU source for CentOS 7 but this resulted in a segmentation fault of the Intel Fortran Compiler when using the newly compiled glibc 2.18.

Is there any workaround available to use the latest Intel Fortran 2024.2.0 compiler with glibc 2.17 on CentOS 7.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Many years ago, I was in a similar situation and made the mistake of overwriting libc.so.6 with a newer version than the one installed in an attempt to provide the newer version to a newly installed software package that demanded it. The result was that even standard Linux/Unix utilities such as ls, chdir, etc., no longer worked, since almost everything on a modern Linux installation depends on libc.so.6. The only solution was to reinstall the OS.

0 Kudos
Gusman
Novice

Good morning, mecej4,

Thank you for your prompt response. I also tried to add a more recent version of glibc -- i.e. glibc 2.18 -- and I experienced the same flaws regarding standard Linux commands which did not work with glibc 2.18 any more.

Cheers,

Gusman

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

I haven't tried this myself, but this may help https://gist.github.com/nchaigne/ad06bc867f911a3c0d32939f1e930a11

0 Kudos
Gusman
Novice

Good morning, Ron,

Thank you for your prompt response and for your kind advice to a newer version of GCC 9.2. This might definitely help. I will give it a try and then report how it works.

Cheers,

Gusman

0 Kudos
Gusman
Novice

I installed GCC 9.2 on the CentOS 7 box and put the bin directory in front of the command search path and then called the Intel Fortran Compiler Version 2024.2.0, but the compiler still complains that it cannot find glibc version 2.18:

/opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2024.2/bin/compiler/xfortcom: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.18' not found (required by /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2024.2/bin/compiler/xfortcom)

Thus, I compiled glibc version 2.18 using gcc 9.2 and appended the shared library directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Now, the Fortran compiler crashes with a segmentation fault:

$ env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/sw/glibc-2.18/lib /opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/latest/bin/mpiifx -diag-enable=all -qopenmp ../src/mpi_basic.f90 -o mpi_basic
Segmentation fault

Any hint how to resolve this problem?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Do you know it's the compiler and not some other tool invoked by mpiifx? The compiler usually produces a more verbose error message when it segfaults.

0 Kudos