Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28602 Discussions

Intel Fortran Compiler 9 on Ubuntu Dapper

mhadian
Beginner
Hi

I am migrating from Ubuntu 5.10 to its new version Ubuntu 6.06 (dapper). i got a problem during installation of IFC 9 which says the following packages are not found:

libstdc++

libgcc

glibc

while i have these packages instead:

libstdc++6

libgcc1

and i can not find glibc in synaptic and there is only glibc-doc (!!!!)

is there any solution for this problem?

i think it will be very useful if IFC developers present this compiler for Ubuntu since it is the most popular distribution.

Thanks in advance,

Hadian

Message Edited by mhadian on 06-21-200606:26 AM

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
ifort relies on 'g++ --print-search-dirs' to find those libraries. I doubt Ubuntu treats g++ much differently from other versions of linux. It's up to you to install a satisfactory version of g++, and to use ifort 9.1 if you want it to work with g++ 4. Most linux distros provide g++ as part of gcc development system installation option, some requiring additional stuff on 64-bit OS, like 32-bit or "legacy" compiler support, and "compatibility" libraries.
Perhaps ifort should issue a more complete diagnostic, such as "no working g++ found on PATH" or a report of which version of g++ is seen, etc. If you think that would be helpful, you could propose it by filing an issue on premier.intel.com.

Message Edited by tim18 on 06-21-200609:03 AM

0 Kudos
mhadian
Beginner
I installed Ubuntu dapper for 32 bit machine on my AMD64 machine and tried to install IFC 9. this time i got this error:
"install_fc.sh can't identify your machine type, glibc, or kernel."

synaptic shows that g++ ver:4.0.3-1 is installed.
i do not know how to find the version of glibc. i think it is not possible not to have glibc.

could anybody let me know how to manage this problem?
Hadian
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you file a problem report on premier.intel.com, you may get advice on how to attempt to get better diagnostics on what went wrong. However, you don't appear to like my advice; in case you missed it, I suggested you try
g++ --print-search-dirs
and make sure that you are installing ifort 9.1.033. In addition, you should try
rpm -qa glibc
uname -a
as you would have to do to file a problem report, to see if ifort has an obvious reason for the reported failure.
As you can see, one of the reasons for supported being limited to a few linux distributions is that other distributions may not work in the expected way. If you investigated, you might find that an update to Ubuntu or a bug report might be indicated.
0 Kudos
muataz
Beginner
The g++ executable is installed in /usr/bin as g++-4.0 going into that directory and running: sudo ln -s g++-4.0 g++
Will resolve the issue ...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Paraphrasing a line from the early text game ADVENTURE, "Linux: a maze of twisty little passages, all different".
0 Kudos
mhadian
Beginner
i found the way to solve this problem in ubuntu forume.
you should change the line
RPM_NOT_FOUND=$?
to
RPM_NOT_FOUND=1
in install_fc.sh script. the complete explanation is here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179589&page=2

0 Kudos
appopson
Beginner
I am migrating from Ubuntu 6.06 (dapper) to its new version Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy). I got a problem when I am trying to use Intel Fortran compiler 9.

This error appear

export: 27: Illegal option -n

Before upgrading ubuntu compiler work very well.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos