Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Intel Fortran and Five minutes

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II
242 Views

In a recent post, someone noted that Intel oneAPI and a few other Intel Fortran installs make a statement that there is about 5 minutes to go on the installation.  

I have observed this statement a few times now as I install oneAPI on three computers. These computers all have SSD, but they range from a NUC i3 to a Dell i7 and yet it typically takes a lot longer, usually 20 to 30 minutes.  

One is often reminded of the old Dr's adage that this will not hurt and you know it is going to hurt a lot.  Novocaine at the dentist is one such example.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee
222 Views

I have also installed on various PCs (including NUCs), and while five minutes may be a lower limit, I have not seen it take longer than 10. That long step is when the Intel installer calls a Microsoft tool to register the VS integration. I have no idea why it is so slow.

mecej4
Black Belt
210 Views

Based on my experiences of installing Parallel Studio 2018, 2019, 2020 and OneAPI, I have concluded as follows:

The first 98 percent of the installation accounts for the first 98 percent of the installation time. The remaining 2 percent of the installation accounts for the other 98 percent of the installation time.

-- with apologies to Tom Cargill and Jon Bentley.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II
175 Views

This is incredibly good rule for 90-90

We had similar rules in Consulting Engineering.  

I love it. 

Reply