Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 and ANSYS 18.2

Urcun__Stephane
Beginner

Hi all,

I apologize in advance for my beginner's questions. I have to implement User-Programable Features in ANSYS 18.2 and I need Visual Studio 2012 and Intel Fortran Compiler 2015 (through Intel Parallel Studio XE), the two are mandatory in the ANSYS documentation.

I read in the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 documentation that it is compatible to VS 2013.

Where could I find the 2015 version of this fortran compiler ?

Thank you for your time,

Stéphane

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

From the FAQ:

How do I download and install an older version?

You could use the 2017 version which supports VS2012. However, I suggest that you try the latest version anyway - it may work just fine.

0 Kudos
Urcun__Stephane
Beginner

Thank you very much !

I will try the 2017 version first, I don't know if the APDL of ANSYS is compatible with the latest.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi Stephane, according to ANSYS 18.2 documentation Fortran compiler version 15.0.7 is required (2.2. Compiler Requirements for Windows Systems). For linking, as you already wrote VS 2012 is required. Even if new versions work fine, using 15.0.7 would be the save way. Further, there are three different ways to make use of user defined features (1.10. Compiling and Linking UPFs on Windows Systems). Building DLLs should not require the same ifort version. I'm not sure if this is the case for relinking the 'ansys.exe'.

If you are unsure, you should contact your local ANSYS customer service.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

By the way. I would highly recommend to abandon the F77 style and fixed format of the ANSYS examples. There is no need for this. Before running your user defined function in ANSYS I would also recommend to write a simple wrapper for checks around your UDF, which calls it with reasonable dummy values. This helps to eliminate bugs more simple.

0 Kudos
Urcun__Stephane
Beginner

Thank you Johannes for your precisions and your help,

Usually I write in f90, but it's the first time I implement some fortran in ANSYS and it seems tricky. I would fatally contact ANSYS customer service, sooner or later.

0 Kudos