Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran not installing - no error message

davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

Hi there,

I recently had to move a computer to new network, so it had to be re-imaged (Windows 7 - 64-bit) and everything re-installed. My admin first tried to install Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows from the file I first downloaded and installed from and it looked like it was installing, unpacking things and such, but at the end, nothing happened. No program and no error message. No clue about what could be missing or causing a problem. I've tried installing it without the right MS Visual Studio installed and it complained right away, but it's giving us nothing now.

MS Visual Studio 2013 is already installed on this computer and works fine.

I thought I might install the latest update (should have done that anyway)), logged in and found the following available to me:

1)  Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* ---  Version 2015 (Update 2 Eng/Jpn)  27 Jan 2015

2)  Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* (incl. Microsoft Visual Studio Shell and Libraries*) ---  Version 2013 SP1 (Update 5 E/J VS)  24 Feb 2015

3)  Intel® Math Kernel Library for Windows* ---  Version 11.2 (Update 2)  26 Jan 2015

4)  Intel® MPSS for Windows* ---  Version 2013 (3.3.3)  18 Dec 2014

I download #1 and #3 and try to install the XE Composer for Fortran (#1) and the same thing happens. It looks like it's installing, but in the end, nothing happens. Any idea what's bothering it or where to look for what the problem is?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

#1 is what you want.

When you say "nothing happens", what exactly do you mean? If you're looking for new shortcuts on the desktop, there won't be any. It should open a web browser to a "Getting Started" page at the end of the installation. Do you have Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 in the Start Menu? If you open VS2013 and go to create a project, does it list Intel Visual Fortran as a "Template" category?

0 Kudos
davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

Thanks for your quick reply.

When I try to install it, it looks like nothing is installed, thought it appears to go through all the motions of installing -- it displays a window graphic about  XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows at the end, but then that disappears. There is no program in the start menu and if I double click on one of my Fortran projects MS Visual Studio opens and says that it does not recognize the format.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Interesting. So there is no Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 in the Start Menu? Does the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015 exist with contents? I suggest an uninstall and reinstall with the item #1 above. Let me know what happens.

0 Kudos
davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

Yes, there is no Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 in the Start Menu. Nor is there anything in the list of installed programs to uninstall in Control Panel.  The folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015 does not get created at all.

We tried installing again, this time with the 'Delete Temporary Files' box unchecked. The same things happened, but this time it left behind a sub-directory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Download\w_fcompxe_2015.2.179. It had a bunch of files along with 5 subdirectories, 'config', 'installs', 'licenses', 'plugins', 'resources'. One of the files was 'setup'. Double-clicking on that produces the same result when I tried installing the program. An Intel Composer XE 2015 for Fortran text/graphic appears for maybe ten seconds. Then it disappears and nothing happens .

Is there any log file you recommend looking at for any diagnosis about what is going wrong?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok, indeed the install is not really starting.  Let me find out where the log is and I'll get back to you.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Click on Start and in the search box type:

%TEMP%

A folder will open. Look for a subfolder whose name starts with pset_tmp. Under that will be a subfolder based on the date of the install, and under that a folder "log" in which is the log file. Please attach a zip of the log here. (If you don't want to do this publicly, you should be able to use "Send Author a Message" and attach it to a message there.)

0 Kudos
davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

Unfortunately, there are no log files to zip.

When I try Start Menu >

%TEMP%

There are no subfolders with a name starting with pset_tmp. In fact, there are no new folders or sub-folders with the same install date. There are no error logs in Event Viewer either for failed applications. Again, when I try to run    w_fcompxe_2015.2.179.exe  it unpacks the install files to a directory in the program_files(86), displays the Composer XE opening graphic for a about 10 seconds and then just stops and nothing happens.

I tried running the same install file,   w_fcompxe_2015.2.179.exe  on another computer on a different network and it installed fine -- this second computer is on a network connected to the internet. The computer where the fortran compiler failed is completely isolated from the internet.  That is the biggest difference between the two computers, but I have successfully  installed Composer XE on this computer before as a standalone computer not attached to any network.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Hmm. At that point in the install it isn't doing anything with the Internet Do you perhaps have some security software that is killing the process?

You can run setup.exe in that folder it unpacks to (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Download\w_fcompxe_2015.2.179) - does that also just display the image and then exit? What does %TEMP% open into? Do you have permission to write to that folder?

0 Kudos
davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

We're going to try installing with a different administrator and see if maybe Composer XE will install -- maybe it is a permission issue? Anyway, when it fails to install, it happens right after the setup program extracts all the install files and there isn't even a 'failed application' entry in Event Viewer.

Unfortunately, I've got deadline on a few other things, so I'll have to come back to this in a couple of weeks. We really do need to figure out why it isn't installing on this computer.

I did get an e-mail invitation for beta-testing, but my employee absolutely forbids that, so that isn't an option for working on it.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Another customer encountered this and found https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/544642 which described a solution. Please see if this works for you and let me know.

0 Kudos
davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion, but we think that the problem was coming from a different source.

The Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows installation still does not complete, but along with the intro graphic, it now displays a dialog box before it stops. It says:

“An AddTrust Certificate is required to install this software. The required certificate was not found on your system………”

We tried pressing ‘yes’ hoping that it would ask for a product key or something like that, but it just stopped the install. Do you know what this is?

For background, there were other issues going on with this computer that we had to fix before we got to this point. The computer (re-imaged with Windows 7 after being moved to a new network) also had another quirk besides Composer XE not installing. Some people who were supposed to be admins (including the head admin) could not log in, so that really had to be fixed. The laptop got re-imaged again and one of the admins found the problem online.

The culprit was an SQM file in the Visual Studio 2013 default profile.

For future reference, with "show hidden files" enabled, delete the .sqm file located in the directory:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSCommon\12.0\SQM

One of our admins got online and found the following references to the login issue:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/88886-windows-7-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon

http://chentiangemalc.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/case-of-the-user-service-service-failed-the-logon/

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The error message you found is exactly the issue I mentioned earlier. AddTrust is a popular certificate authority which MOST Windows systems already trust, but we've found some that do not, especially older systems that don't get Windows Updates. This sort of thing is going to become increasingly a problem as more and more files come digitally signed.  The root certificate can be found at https://support.comodo.com/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/Article/View/917/91/ 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Did you install the latest Update 3 and see this error message?

0 Kudos
davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

I have tried to download the latest update 3 from:

https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=2210&pass=yes

and I've been getting a message "The signature of this program is corrupt or invalid", twice. The only option I have for that is to delete and start again.  Is the problem in the download, or the file itself?

The system admin has added the required certificate and it should install, once I get the install file.

0 Kudos
davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

Edit for my previous post ...... I found someone here who has successfully downloaded update 3 who can give me a copy.

0 Kudos
davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

Sorry about the long delay in posting status on this....... the problem has been solved. The certificates do seem to have been the issue and once they were updated it installed fine. The computer I was installing it on was on a network disconnected from the internet.

What made the problem a mystery was that at first the install just died without any hint about what the problem was. I hope that can be flagged in the future so that the install will give an error message when it happens so it can be found quicker.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This problem was fixed for Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 1.

0 Kudos
Timothy_R_
Beginner

I'm seeing this issue with Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3.  Just downloaded it fresh the other day.  I will attempt to install this root certificate on my offline PC's manually to see if that will fix the issue but its not fixed for Update 3.  My system is failing to install that root certificate when asked during the install it seems.  Reboot didnt help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“An Addtrust certificate is required to install this software.  The required certificate was not found on your system.  Click ‘yes’ to install the certificate and continue.  Or click ‘no’ to cancel the install.”

I clicked yes and it then says “Package signature verification failed”.

0 Kudos
Timothy_R_
Beginner

I just installed the certificate file that Steve linked to by right clicking and installing it and it say complete and shows up in the IE certificate store.  The program still reports "Package signature verification failed" and will not continue with the install.  These machines are not connected to the internet and can not be.  I am at a loss as to how to proceed with the install.

0 Kudos