Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2018 Update 2: Issue with double-click on a Microsoft Visual Studio solution (.sln) file

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

With Parallel Studio XE 2018 Update 2, is anyone else experiencing a problem where double-clicking on a Visual Studio solution (.sln) file leads to Visual Studio 2017 "not responding"?

hang.png

After a long wait at the above state, if one tries to close Visual Studio 2017, the following results. 

crash.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I hope the team can figure out why it broke again and come up with a solution that is more robust. I understand that interfaces can break, but Microsoft is usually pretty good about this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi FortranFan, for the combination VS2015 update 3 with PSXE 2018 update 2 on Win10 doubleclick is working correctly for me. I'm not using VS 2017 so far. So it might behave different.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

johannes k. wrote:

Hi FortranFan, for the combination VS2015 update 3 with PSXE 2018 update 2 on Win10 doubleclick is working correctly for me. I'm not using VS 2017 so far. So it might behave different.

Thanks much, Johannes, for looking into this.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I see this problem after updating Visual Studio to 15.6.4. But if I select a solution from within VS, it opens ok. It was fine in 15.6.3, so I think this is a bug Microsoft introduced in that last update.I see the same issue with a Visual C++ solution. Look for a 15.6.5 any day now.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:

I see this problem after updating Visual Studio to 15.6.4. But if I select a solution from within VS, it opens ok. It was fine in 15.6.3, so I think this is a bug Microsoft introduced in that last update.I see the same issue with a Visual C++ solution. Look for a 15.6.5 any day now.

Great catch about 15.6.4 - thanks Steve.

0 Kudos
Roy_S_
Beginner

I have the same problem with .sln files after installing the 2018 FORTRAN updates.  Visual Studio goes into a loading state and stays there (and I have to close VS to get out of the infinite wait).  I'm using Visual Studio 2017.  If I start from VS and select a .sln file from the startup page, everything works fine.  That work-around is OK, but it was much more convenient to just double-click on the .sln file.  I tried creating a new .sln file, but while the file is created, it has the same problem when  I tried to double-click on it.

0 Kudos
Zifeng_Y_
Beginner

I have the same issue. I just open Visual Studio first, then open the project file, which can temporarily solve the issue.

0 Kudos
raoudha__chaabane

good evening

Hi FortranFan

i ask 

how to run my first fortran code on  the combination VS2013   and  the compiler intel  parallele  PSXE  on win7 pro

thanks in advances for help

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Please see this article for possible solution for problems with opening VS .sln or vproj. files outside of VS:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-fix-ms-vs2015-text-editor-is-blank-after-upgrading-intel-parallel-studio-xe ;

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Devorah, that's a different problem. The solution there doesn't fix this problem.

I had expected Microsoft's support forum to be filled with complaints about this, but last I checked I saw nothing. I reproduced it with an MSVC solution as well, but I think I need to remove Intel integration and see if the behavior changes.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:

Devorah, that's a different problem. The solution there doesn't fix this problem.

I had expected Microsoft's support forum to be filled with complaints about this, but last I checked I saw nothing. I reproduced it with an MSVC solution as well, but I think I need to remove Intel integration and see if the behavior changes.

Visual Studio 15.6.5 is available now and it works with the solution attached with the original post.  v15.6.5 also works for a separate solution with one C++ project for a console application.  By works I mean if the solution is opened by double-clicking on the sln file, VS opens promptly and without any unexpected errors.

However I'm still having issues with other solution files that have projects which are based on Intel Fortran.  I think there are pending issues with Intel Fortran Update 2 and Visual Studio 2017 v15.6.4 and v15.6.5, but I'll have to spend more time to put together a suitable reproducer.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I did some experiments. I uninstalled Update 2, which "installed deintegration with VS2017" . An MSVC solution successfully loaded when I double-clicked on it. I then reinstalled Update 2. The Fortran problem remained (VS hung), but the MSVC symptom changed to report an exception while loading an extension. A log file the message pointed me to may provide a clue. (VS had updated to 15.6.5 in the meantime.)

I have reported this, with the log, to the Online Service Center, issue ID 03364411. It's still possible to open solutions once VS is already running.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

The fix is planned for Update 3 of IVF.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

I think related to this problem is being unable to associate Fortran files with MSVS 2017.

When I try to do so (by locating the 2017 version of devenv.exe), I get the message "The program you have selected cannot be associated with this file type.  Please choose another program."

Also, while my machine says that .f90 is "Fortran Source", when I try to open the file, I get the choice of "" /dde or MSVS Version Selector - the latter opens MSVS with a blank solution, but hangs without opening a file.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It's really the same problem. Once you open VS, you can open Fortran sources and projects.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I note that this problem is NOT fixed in the initial PSXE 2019 beta, but given what I know of development timeframes I didn't expect it to be. Let's hope it gets fixed for the beta update.

0 Kudos
bondonet__gael
Beginner

Bonjour 

j ai exactement le même problème, 

je voulais mettre a jour l update 1 intel forttan 2018 que l on vient d acheter car il gele lorsque l on effectue trop de recherche dans le code au bout d un certain nombre de recompilations successives.

L update 2 ne permet plus de double cliquer sur les fichier *.sln

c est vraiment problématique,  ne pourrait on pas avoir un patch en attendant l update 3

c est quand meme pas tres normal que des produits Intel est encore  ce type de bug avant d être diffusé

0 Kudos
Daniel_Dopico
New Contributor I

Thanks Fortran Fan for starting this topic and Steve for reporting this issue to technical service.

I was experiencing this issue for a while with VS 15.6.4 and Parallel Studio XE 2018 update 2 and opening my solutions directly from VS instead of double click. I am happy to see that you had discussion on this.

Let's wait for the fix.

0 Kudos
Knut_Birger_L_
Beginner

I have the same issue, but after upgrading VS to 15.7.0 C++ and .NET solutions loads ok, but not solutions containing Fortran projects. I hope Intel can fix this asap.

0 Kudos
Ferdinando_Alde
Beginner

Hi all, I just installed the update 3 and everything is back to work fine !

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

And... the problem is back with Visual Studio 15.7.4.

0 Kudos