Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28703 Discussions

Intel Visual Fortran 11.1 for Windows7-64bit

Nethika_Suraweera

Hi,

I am trying to install Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional 11.1 for windows(Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition 11.1.048 Update 2 Revised for Windows*) in my Windows 7 64 bit laptop.

At the very beginning of the installation process I received the following error message:

Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Windows* installation can continue, but take note

The following components can not be installed:

- Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for applications running on IA-64

Installation can continue; however, these components will not be installed because they require that a supported Microsoft* development tools be installed. Refer to the Release Notes for a list of the required Microsoft* development tools.

When I continue installing (using "Full Installation" option) it was installed with Visual studio 2008. I could open a code, but couldn't compile or run it. There was no "Build" tab.

Can you please help me to install it properly?

Thanks.

-Nethika

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Have you chosen the IA-64 (Itanium) compiler? If you wish to run the code on your laptop, as opposed to cross compiling for Itanium, you would choose the Intel64 compiler. The optional tools for the latter are found in the visual studio setup options, C++ X64 component.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
As Tim correctly suggests, you selected the wrong installer for download. I sympathize completely as the term "IA-64" is unfamiliar to most users and many have made the same mistake.

The installer you want instead is the one with "intel64" in the name. Or, use the one with "_novsppe" which will give you both the IA-32 (32-bit) and Intel 64 (x64) compilers. Uninstall the IA-64 compiler first.

For version 12 (Composer XE 2011) this is not an issue as we don't supply IA-64 (Intel Itanium) compilers there.
0 Kudos
Roger_Farrow
Beginner
Hi,
I'm having the same problem, except I'm installing from the DVD. There's no opportunity to select which installer to use. The one that autorunsseems intent on installing the IA-64 compilerwhereas I only want IA-32 and Intel64. I already installed Visual Studio 2005 along with SP1 and the update for Windows 7.
Thanks for any help,
Roger

Edit:
I founda link to registerthe compiler without first installing from the DVD and was able to download the correct installer. All set now.
RF
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The DVD has all three compilers and should allow you to install the ones you want.
0 Kudos
Roger_Farrow
Beginner
The DVD has all three compilers and should allow you to install the ones you want.

Except it insisted on installing the IA-64 compiler. There was no option NOT to install it, even with a custom installation.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Interesting. Well, that's not an issue with version 12.
0 Kudos