Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

Intel license server wanting to use feature Beta-Comp-FW

El_Zorro_Oro
Novice

My compile time has gone from one or two seconds to 9 minutes on simple program.

The license manger is the culprit, IMHO.  It is trying to use a feature, Beta-Comp-FW, which I do not want.  I do eventually get the license that I want, but it takes a long time.

How do I stop the Intel Fortran Complier from asking for the Beat-Comp-FW?

Here is the error message:

INTEL_LMD: checkout: checkout call returns rc -96

Error: A license for Beta-Comp-FW is not available now (-96,7,11001).

Beta-Comp-FW: License server machine is down or not responding.

See the system administrator about starting the license server system, or

make sure you're referring to the right host (see LM_LICENSE_FILE).

Feature:       Beta-Comp-FW

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dilanjan_J_Intel

Hi El_Zorro_Oro,

Thanks for posting your query on the Community forum. Intel® has transitioned from Intel® Parallel Studio XE to the Intel® OneAPI Toolkits which is used to build and deploy high-performance, data-centric applications across diverse architectures. The new Intel® oneAPI compilers are free to download and use, so there is no longer a need for a special license to use it.

Note - Intel® Fortran Compiler is a part of Intel® OneAPI HPC Toolkit.

Please click the below link and choose the product you wanted to download.

Link- https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/qualify-for-free-software.html#student.

Important Note - Make sure to download and install the Intel® OneAPI Base Toolkit first and then add Intel® OneAPI HPC Toolkit or the toolkit of your choice.

Have a pleasant day ahead!

0 Kudos
El_Zorro_Oro
Novice

Thanks for the reply.

I want to make sure that you understand that I am an employee of Lockheed Martin, and that I am not a student.

I will ask our IT department to acquire Intel® OneAPI Toolkits.

In the meantime, is there a way to stop the license manager from trying to use the Beat-Comp-FW feature?

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
Dilanjan_J_Intel

Hi El_Zorro_Oro,

Thanks for your reply. In regards to the issue with the Intel® Fortran compiler, we have a forum that is specific to issues of this nature. Hence I will be moving this query to the Intel® Fortran Compiler forum for more quick and accurate assistance.

Have a great day ahead!

Regards,

Dilanjan

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

El_Zorro_Ono:

You did not mention which Intel Fortran compiler version you are using, nor any details regarding how you are invoking the compiler. If you have a commercial license for an older version of Intel Fortran, and your support contract is current, you can file a report with Intel Premier Support.

You can find out details about the particular FlexLM license checkout process as follows. 

• Open an Intel Fortran command window
  • Change to a directory containing a Fortran source file, and with write permission set for that directory
  • Set the environment variable FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS=YES
  • Attempt to compile the Fortran source file (I have masked the specific license related numbers out with 'xxxx')
T:\lang>ifort /c a10101.f90
Checkout succeeded: FCompW/xxxxxxxxxxxx
        License file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\\Intel\Licenses\intelxxxx.lic
        No server used

The output displays the "feature" used, and the specific license file used. If this is a local license file, you can look for lines in the license file that pertain to the feature (such as FCOMPW). If you have a server hosted license, you can find the server's name in the license file, and follow up with the system administrator of the server, or arrange to use a local license file if you have one.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I've seen this before - for some odd reason, released versions of the compiler were first checking for beta licenses. The long delay is likely that the licensing system is querying some additional license server that is not responding. So the first thing to do is check the license file and environment variables to make sure that any license servers named are in fact running the license server. You can more easily see what is happening by, from a Fortran command prompt session, defining the environment variable INTEL_LMD_DEBUG to be the path to a writable file, then doing a test compile. The debug file will show the names of the servers it is trying. (Don't paste the contents into this public forum.)

That said, licensing issues need to be reported using the Online Service Center.

0 Kudos