Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Internal compiler error / catastrophic error in IVF11 and XE

onkelhotte
New Contributor II

Hi Steve,

I tried to alter lassytouton's source he posted earlier (http://forum/280501/fortransocketclient.zipsoftware.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=71998&o=a&s=lr and https://forum/280501/fortransocketclient.zipgithub.com/lassytouton/LittleDemos/tree/master/Intel%20Visual%20FORTRAN%20TCP%20IP%20Sockets%20Based%20Client%20Server) . But then I get this:

catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

I attached the solution. This happens on both IVF11.1 (which I use) and XE12.1 (I think he got the latest version). We use Visual Studio 2008 on a Windows7 x64 machine.

Markus

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
Markus,

Steve is not here today, but I will take an look and try to reproduce the internal compiler error and see if we can find a workaround. Will post details back to this thread.

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos
lassytouton
Beginner
Hi,

The following declaration in your code is incorrect. The MAP...END MAP for the CHARACTER buffer should be *INSIDE* the UNION.

TYPE T_REAL4ARRAY
        SEQUENCE
            UNION
                MAP
                    REAL(kind=4) Temp2D(10,2)
                END MAP
            END UNION
            MAP
                CHARACTER buffer
            END MAP
    END TYPE T_REAL4ARRAY

It should read

TYPE T_REAL4ARRAY
        SEQUENCE
            UNION
                MAP
                    REAL(kind=4) Temp2D(10,2)
                END MAP
                MAP
                    CHARACTER buffer
                END MAP
            END UNION
    END TYPE T_REAL4ARRAY
0 Kudos
onkelhotte
New Contributor II
Youre right, that produces the error...

But the compiler should notice that, shouldnt it?
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
Yes an internal compiler error is always a compiler bug. Thanks for helping to narrow down the location in the code where the compiler is failing to give a proper error message. Sounds like you have a workaround for it.

I will get a test case into engineering so that we can fix it and give an error message. I will update this thread with the engineering tracking number and notification when it is fixed.

------

Wendy

0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

Reproduced and narrowed down the test case the type definition mentionned above. The engineering tracking number is: DPD200178322. I will update this issue when a compiler which resolves it is available.

------

Wendy

0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
With our 13.0 compiler we no longer give an internal error, but instead report the user error, see below. Wendy Doerner Intel Developer Support 1>------ Build started: Project: FortranSocketClient, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ 1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 13.0.0.079 [IA-32]... 1>Reduced_Client.F90 1>C:\Users\wadoerne\Documents\Windows Forum\101873\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\Reduced_Client.F90(36): error #6590: This statement is not permitted as a statement within a derived-type-def 1>C:\Users\wadoerne\Documents\Windows Forum\101873\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\Reduced_Client.F90(70): error #6405: The same named entity from different modules and/or program units cannot be referenced. [SEND] 1>C:\Users\wadoerne\Documents\Windows Forum\101873\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\Reduced_Client.F90(72): error #6405: The same named entity from different modules and/or program units cannot be referenced. [WSAGETLASTERROR] 1>compilation aborted for C:\Users\wadoerne\Documents\Windows Forum\101873\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\Reduced_Client.F90 (code 1) 1> 1>Build log written to "file://C:\Users\wadoerne\Documents\Windows Forum\101873\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\FortranSocketClient\Debug\BuildLog.htm" 1>FortranSocketClient - 4 error(s), 0 warning(s) ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
0 Kudos