Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26732 Discussions

Is Array slicing allowed in Fortran 2018 collectives?

N_Netto
Beginner

I've come across a situation that I need to perform a equivalent of mpi_allreduce (mpi_allgather would suffice) in Coarray application. 

At first, i trying co_sum() collective, but I was suspecting that it was very slow (VTune pointed out that MPI_REDUCE was very heavy on my application and the co_sum()  has other bug that Intel already took notice), so I was trying to make my on allreduce function. 

I was trying to broadcast slices of an array to every process. However, I find the results odd. The following code:

program ColectiveFunctionSlice

implicit none

integer(4), dimension(8)    :: array

array = this_image()

call co_broadcast( array(5:6), 3 ) ! At this point, [3 3] should be passed to everyone at positions 5 and 6

critical
        write( *, '(A,I0,A,8(I0,X),A)' ) 'I am #', this_image(), ' and this is my array [', array, "]"
    end critical
    sync all
    if( this_image() == 1 ) write(*,*) " " 

if( this_image() == 4 ) then
        array(7:8) = 0
        array(1:2) = 8
    endif

call co_broadcast( array(7:8), 4 ) ! At this point, [0 0] should be passed to everyone at positions 7 and 8, but will pass [8 8] 
    critical
        write( *, '(A,I0,A,8(I0,X),A)' ) 'I am #', this_image(), ' and this is my array [', array, "]"
    end critical

end program ColectiveFunctionSlice

Gives the following result:

I am #1 and this is my array [3 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 ]
I am #2 and this is my array [3 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 ]
I am #4 and this is my array [3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 ]
I am #3 and this is my array [3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 ]

I am #1 and this is my array [8 8 1 1 1 1 1 1 ]
I am #3 and this is my array [8 8 3 3 3 3 3 3 ]
I am #4 and this is my array [8 8 4 4 4 4 0 0 ]
I am #2 and this is my array [8 8 2 2 2 2 2 2 ]

In the first group of write, I was expecting to pass the [3 3] slice into postions 5 and 6, however, the slice array(1:2) was passed.

This situation is clearer in the second group. There, I was trying to broadcast [0 0], however, the [8 8] was broadcast.

Is this a bug of the collective functions, or can it be something else related to how Fortran manipulate the data?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
0 Replies