Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28657 Discussions

Is IFort for Unix Services for Windows maintained?

esatel
Beginner

Hi all,

There was an interesting product for compiling on Unix Services for Windows. The last mention I heard of itwas version 9.1.

Anyone know the fate of this product? Is it intended to be gcc compatible? Is there an Intel C++ compiler that corresponds to it, or is the prescription to use gcc?

Are there reasons to avoid it compared to Cygwin? My code is fork/thread limited, so I want to avoid the cygwin win32 emulation if possible. Ihave readgeneric impressions favoring Cygwin, but few specifics.

Thanks for the help,

Eli

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It is not currently maintained. It is intended to complement Microsoft C++ under SUA and is link-compatible with that. There is no corresponding Intel C++. We built it on request from Microsoft, but as far as we know it has no users. It's available in a 32-bit form only. It's free if you have already purchased Intel Visual Fortran for Windows.

For more information, see Release Notes and Documentation Supplement

My advice would be to use the 10.1 compiler under Cygwin. Many do.
0 Kudos
esatel
Beginner
Thanks. Auser base of zero is not too promising. I'll go with your suggestion.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
A tip - if you start your command with:

ifort -unix

then it will interpret forward slashes as parts of pathnames and not switch introducers. You can always use dash to start a switch regardless.
0 Kudos