Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Is Microsoft Visual Studio Shell & Libraries free with commercial version?

K_V__L_
Beginner

We have downloaded Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 for Windows evaluation version.

We are using this to compile an already generated Fortran files and to inturn, generate the exe file.

After installation of evaluation version, we noticed that it is not installing the linker. Same we have noticed when we compile the file and it fails with no linker file, as we understand that evaluation version does not include linker. Also, we understand that commercial version include Visual Studio Shell and Libraries.

Is this Visual Studio Shell is free to use or we need to procure it separately.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

For the purpose of evaluating Intel Fortran, you may download and install (i) a similar evaluation version of Visual Studio, or (ii) one of the Express packages from Microsoft, or (iii) an SDK or DDK from Microsoft that includes the linker, librarian, and other related tools. Depending on what you install, you may also need to obtain and deploy the VC++ redistributables kit (for the runtime DLLs, among other things).

These questions are covered in detail in the release notes, which it is worthwhile to read before installing the Intel Fortran evaluation. See, for example, http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-parallel-studio-xe-2013-sp1-release-notes .

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

To answer the base question - yes, a commercial (or Academic) license for Intel Visual Fortran includes access to the Visual Studio Shell and libraries. If you are using the trial of Visual Studio for evaluation, you will need to reinstall Fortran after installing VS, and then when the trial ends, uninstall both Fortran and Visual Studio, delete the Visual Studio directory from under Program Files, and then download and install the Fortran installer that "Includes Microsoft Visual Studio Shell".

Another useful read is Which versions of Microsoft Visual Studio are supported by various Intel compiler versions?

0 Kudos
K_V__L_
Beginner

Clearify that Visual Studio shell that is included in Commercial Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 product, has its licence?

If we purchase Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1, do we need to also purchase Visual Studio Shell license separately?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, you don't need to purchase anything else - you get everything you need to develop, build, debug and run Fortran applications. In fact, you can't buy a license for Visual Studio Shell - and it's not just the shell, it's also some tools and libraries from Visual C++ that we license from Microsoft.

0 Kudos
Mahipal_S_
Beginner

Hi there

This may not be totally related to this discussion but have been encountering a similar issue with MVS shell and visual fortran....which I am using to run ADAPT 5 (simulation software BMSR, university of southern california)

I have purchased a student version of visual fortran as part of the cluster studio XE 2013 SP1. Intel clearly specifies that student version do not come with MVS shell tool. however, While installing it gives me an option to include and integrate with MVS 2010 shell. I have used this option since I could not find MVS 2010 shell separately anywhere for download. When I install everything and run ADAPT, I am getting the following error message

Error message stored in location XXXXX (not exact) and check and edit expl3x2.for (suspect a fortran file). In fact when I check for that file, I could not even locate it.

ADAPT provider clearly states if using student version, MVS shell need to be installed separately and suggests MVS shell, fortran compiler and ADAPT 5 sequence.

If anyone could tell me what was I doing wrong and is there anywhere I can obtain MVS shell 2010 to install separately.

Thank you in advance. I have been spending a quite bit of time on this..............

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I know nothing about ADAPT 5 and similar third party packages, but it would definitely be possible to compile and link Fortran source codes with such a package within the command line environment if you download and install a suitable Microsoft development kit such as a Windows SDK.

If, however, you wish to use Visual Studio as your build environment, you need to obtain and install a suitable edition of Visual Studio before installing Intel Fortran. If your university subscribes to Microsoft's Dreamspark program or something similar, you may be able to obtain Visual Studio Pro under that program.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You can't get the necessary files separately. When we say VS2010 Shell, that also includes some tools and libraries we license from Microsoft that are not freely downloadable.

0 Kudos
Mahipal_S_
Beginner

Does any of the visual studios contain MVS shell in it? Apologies for my ignorance in this but I am a pharmacy graduate. Does Fortran compiler run only with MVS 2010 shell or could it be any other version?

When I have tried to run ADAPT (third party package) after installing all it comes with this error - Error compiling model file (and the model file is fortran file). Could any one tell what could be the problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mahipal_S_
Beginner

Ignore my previous post. It is working. I just have to change the privileges to administrator.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Normally you should not have to enable administrator privileges to build under VS2008 or later. However, if you are trying to build a project where your project directory is under Program Files (or Program Files (x86)), you might have that problem. You shouldn't have projects there - move them to a writable directory elsewhere.

0 Kudos