Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Is Trial Version full version?

kj_2
Beginner

I have tried to use the trial version of Intel Visual Fortran Compiler's 11and 9. For my particular task I have been instructed to choose a single-threaded dll for the Fortran Libraries. In both compilers I do not have the choice for a single-threaded dll -- only multiple threads. And in neither case does the compiler complete the task. Do some files need single-threaded over multi-threaded? So then is the trial version a limited produce used applicable only for multi-thread compiling?

KJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Microsoft removed its single-threaded libraries in VS2005. I cannot imagine how using the multithread libraries would induce an error in your application - they are thread-safe in the Fortran library such as I/O. Your own code can be single-threaded. I suggest that you investigate the problem without concern about the library type.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

There is no difference between trial and full version. Non-thread-safe libraries were supported only on 32-bit Windows, and not with current Visual Studio. You could never mix thread-safe and non-thread-safe libraries, and thread safety has assumed great importance with the general availability of dual core. Simply allow it to use the multi-threaded library; the performance differences have been corrected, for the most part, in recent releases.

0 Kudos
kj_2
Beginner

Is your response true for VS 2008 only? I have been using VS 2005 because that was the platform used in my instructions booklet. And non thread-safe means single thread? By using the multi-thread with VS 2005 the compiler does not complete the job and runs into a designed error.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Microsoft removed its single-threaded libraries in VS2005. I cannot imagine how using the multithread libraries would induce an error in your application - they are thread-safe in the Fortran library such as I/O. Your own code can be single-threaded. I suggest that you investigate the problem without concern about the library type.

0 Kudos