Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26750 Discussions

Keeping Console App Window Open After Program Termination

Ioannis_K_
Novice

Hello,

I have built a console application using the Visual Fortran compiler with Visual Studio. When my application is terminated (either due to normal termination or due to a fatal error) the console window immediately closes. 

I would like to ask if there is a way to maintain the console window open after the program is terminated. This will be useful for situations where I have abnormal termination. Alternatively, is it possible to duplicate the "screen print" of the console window to a file?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I
I might be wrong on this but I think if you create a CMD window on run your app from it then output will go to that window rather than a new console created at the app launch.
Ioannis_K_
Novice

I agree, but this is not what I want. I want to double-click on the app to run it, instead of having to run it from cmd

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Once the program returns from the main program, Windows closes the console window. But take a look at https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/275071#comment-1548443 for an alternative.

Busch__Thorben
Beginner

Hey,

just write a

READ(*,*)

right before

END PROGRAM ...

so you have a kind of "press enter to close" ;)