Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

LNK1104: cannot open file 'x64\Release\Console1.exe'

Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Using Parallel Studio XE 2018 beta update1 on Windows 10 Pro to build Release version

Have cleaned solution and new build.  Have tried this fix (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/link-fatal-error-lnk1104-cannot-open-file-ucrtdlib-with-vs2015-rc). 

Suggestions please.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The article you linked to is not relevant. Most likely you still have an instance of the EXE still running, though you can't see it. I have seen this issue before when debugging - even though the program ends, the debugger holds the EXE open. Try closing and reopening VS. Also make sure you are not building in a folder that is under Program Files.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Thanks Steve.  Couldn't see anything in Task Master but restarted my machine to be safe.  And that did fix the issue.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Glad to hear it. The program is not running, but the debugger holds the EXE open as a file. Just restarting VS usually fixes this. I think Microsoft fixed this in a newer edition of Visual Studio, but don't hold me to that.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

It may hold the EXE open but I haven't a clue as to its name in the task master and only way I've found to solve the problem is restart my computer.   Same is true for Parallel Studio XE 2017 also.  This is a BIG pain in the back side!

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You won't see it in task manager. It is a problem in Visual Studio, not specifically Intel Fortran, as many MSVC users complain about it as well.

You might want to see if you have an antivirus or continuous backup program that is accessing the executable files. Try temporarily disabling these or tell them not to look at your build directory.

0 Kudos
Patel__Gaurav
Beginner

For those wondering about this. Start Process Explorer (If you don't have it google it and install it for free from msft)

Then search for the exe that MSVC is failing on. You may find it in suspended state in the explorer. Right click and end its process tree. No restart of computer was needed with this method.

0 Kudos