Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Line Number Access

Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

In my debug version or even release where I specify line numbers, can I access a specific line number during execution? + I want towrite a bit of debugging so I can tell what line number I'm on when an error occurs -- maybe not a bad error -- just some error. I've tried to put in line numbers using the editor but as I add or delete things the numbers are off. I remember in the old days, IBM's FORTRAN IV had something that got compiled into a statement that referred to the line number.

Thanks,

Brooks Van Horn

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I am not sure if this is what you asked for, but the __LINE__ macro can be used as a member of an I/O list if the /fpp compiler option is used:

write(*,*)' Line number: ',__LINE__

You can add any other I/O list items that you think useful, and you can specify your own format if you wish.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, but you can call TRACEBACKQQ to get a traceback at any point in the program (needs to be compiled with /traceback in order to get source location.)

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I am not sure if this is what you asked for, but the __LINE__ macro can be used as a member of an I/O list if the /fpp compiler option is used:

write(*,*)' Line number: ',__LINE__

You can add any other I/O list items that you think useful, and you can specify your own format if you wish.

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

The macro is defined in gFortran, C, and C++ but not IVF. I looked for it in IntelSWTools and below but the macro is not defined.  Steve's suggestion is impractical in my case, Nut, Steve, can we get the source to TRACEBACKQQ or at least the structure that it uses for obtaining the traceback?

Steve,

I've also uncovered a bug that I don't know will also be in the 2017 version. Here it is:

character(60):: buffer
    write(buffer,'(a,2x,sp,es15.7)') 'hello', 3.14159

gice a runtime error but

write(buffer,100) 'Hello', 3.14159
100 format(a, 2x, sp, es15.7)

works as designed.

I don't know how to report bugs.

Brooks

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

Sorry Steve, thay was But, Steve.  Not NUT

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Brooks Van Horn wrote:

The macro is defined in gFortran, C, and C++ but not IVF. I looked for it in IntelSWTools and below but the macro is not defined.

With the current release (16.0.3), I see that __LINE__ is defined, but only if you use the C-style pre-processor option /fpp. Here is a short test program:

program xbvh
implicit none
integer i,j
do i=10,20
   j=i*i-13*i+12
   if(j.eq.0)then
      write(*,*)' j = 0 for i = ',i,' at line ',__LINE__
   end if
end do
end program

Compiling with /fpp and running gives:

j = 0 for i =           12  at line            7

As for the other bug that you named, i.e., "write(buffer,'(a,2x,sp,es15.7)') 'hello', 3.14159", I see no error with IFort 16.0.3. I think that you need to state the compiler version, the OS version, and the compiler options that you used.

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

We have to fill out all that info when we submit these forum comments -- they should be made available to respondees. But here goes... I'm running Win 10 Ent with an Intel i7-4770 wit at 3.4GHz with 32GB RAM and 2 TB HD and the OS on a 150GB SSD. I am using MSVS 2013 freeby with the Intel Parallel Studio XE edition (2016) using the Update 3.

Build Log
 Build started: Project: PDC, Configuration: Debug|x64 

windir=C:\WINDOWS
__iflSearch=C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016\windows\bin\Intel64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\ide;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\amd64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Tools\bin;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86;D:\Intel\TamperProtectionToolkit_0.2.0\bin\win-x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\mpirt;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\compiler;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32_win\mpirt;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32_win\compiler;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit\;D:\Simply_Fortran\mingw-w64\bin;D:\Simply_Fortran\mingw-w64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\lib32;D:\Simply_Fortran\mingw-w64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\lib64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\TypeScript\1.0\;C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraFinder;c:\dislin\win

Output

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0 [Intel(R) 64]...
ifort /nologo /debug:minimal /Od /Qipo /Qdiag-error-limit:100 /stand:f90 /Qdiag-disable:6413 /warn:none
 /Qsave /Qinit:zero /fp:precise /fp:except /fpconstant /assume:minus0 /Qfp-stack-check /module:"x64\Debug\\"
 /object:"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc120.pdb" /list:"x64\Debug\ChkReg.lst" /traceback /check:bounds
 /check:uninit /check:format /check:output_conversion /check:arg_temp_created /check:stack /libs:dll /threads
 /dbglibs /winapp /c /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\\bin\amd64"
 "C:\Users\Brooks\Desktop\Projects\Pearson\Pearson\ChkReg.f90"

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools>ifort
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.0.110 Build 20150815
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

You are missing one essential option (for the present issue): /fpp . This is the option that I mentioned in #3 and #6. Unless it is specified, C-style pre-processor directives are unlikely to work.

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

OK, I used your program and got this:

1>------ Build started: Project: test, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0 [IA-32]...
1>Source1.f90
1>C:\Users\Brooks\Desktop\Projects\test\test\Source1.f90(7): error #5192: Lead underscore not allowed
1>C:\Users\Brooks\Desktop\Projects\test\test\Source1.f90(7): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [__LINE__]
1>compilation aborted for C:\Users\Brooks\Desktop\Projects\test\test\Source1.f90 (code 1)
1>
1>Build log written to  "file://C:\Users\Brooks\Desktop\Projects\test\test\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>test - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

See attachment for options selected.

Brooks

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Instead of using the Write Statement can you pass the  LINE data to a subroutine - would be useful for debugging the large matrix generators

!****************************************************************************
    !
    !  PROGRAM: LineNumbers
    !
    !  PURPOSE:  Entry point for the console application.
    !
    !****************************************************************************

program LineNumbers

implicit none

integer i,j
    do i=10,20
        j=i*i-13*i+12
        if(j.eq.0)then
            write(*,*)' j = 0 for i = ',i,' at line ',__LINE__

end if

end do

end program LineNumbers

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The output shown in #9 is for a Debug-Win32 configuration, whereas the screenshot is for a Release-Win32 configuration.

Please check if you have the same /fpp option specified in the Debug-Win32 configuration, or do a build in the Release configuration. If it still fails, please attach the resulting Buildlog.htm file.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

mecej4 wrote:

You are missing one essential option (for the present issue): /fpp . This is the option that I mentioned in #3 and #6. Unless it is specified, C-style pre-processor directives are unlikely to work.

It works for me with /fpp, brooks, just a guess  do you have C installed in VS?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

John Nichols wrote:

Instead of using the Write Statement can you pass the  LINE data to a subroutine - would be useful for debugging the large matrix generators.

We may be drifting off-topic here, but here is the answer to your question: the output of a pre-processor is what gets handed to the compiler for compiling (and linking, perhaps). Therefore, as long as your pre-processor outputs valid Fortran code, it can do anything that it is capable of. For example, you may have a Cobol->Fortran preprocessor (there are plenty of reasons why such a preprocessor may be unlikely to exist, but let us save a discussion of that for another day). The NAG Fortran compiler converts F2003/F2008 input code to C, which is then compiled by GCC.

program xbvh
implicit none
integer i,j,k
character(60):: buffer
!
write(buffer,'(a,2x,sp,es15.7)') 'hello', 3.14159
write(*,*)buffer
!
do i=10,20
   j=i*i-13*i+12
   if(j.eq.0)then
      k= __LINE__ * __LINE__
	  call prlin(k)
   end if
end do
end program

subroutine prlin(i)
implicit none
integer, intent(in) :: i
integer l
l=sqrt(i*1.000001)-2
write(*,*)' Line number where problem occurred was ',l
return
end subroutine

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

John, di the above compile and run without errors?

Brooks

0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

RE: #9 --- the screen shot shows a RELEASE configuration, but the error messages show a DEBUG configuration.

The other clue is that the error messages are referencing "source1.f90", but the intermediate file created by the FPP utility has the ".i90" file extension.

--Lorri

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Yes it ran and complied for me - make sure you tick the box for FPP in the preprocessor page on the properties tab.

I only run in debug as I am the only one who uses this usually

John

0 Kudos
Brooks_Van_Horn
New Contributor I

Thanks to all. I got it to work!!!

Brooks

0 Kudos