Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Linker Conflict libmmt and libcpmtd

acar
Beginner

Hello,

I recently migrated to the latest VS and Intel fortran compiler.  I am getting the following errors:

Severity    Code    Description    Project    File    Line    Suppression State
Error        error LNK2005: _powf already defined in libmmt.lib(powf_iface_c99.obj)        libcpmtd.lib(locale.obj)        

Any advice on overcoming this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

ACAR

0 Kudos
57 Replies
acar
Beginner

I have no objection whatsoever to sending my code to someone at Intel (apart from the mild embarrassment I will have in an expert viewing the code of a mechanical engineer).  Before I do this though I will take Steve's suggestion and look deeper into the .obj files to see if this brings up the solution.  I'll report back in due course.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This isn't something appropriate for Intel support. You have all the tools at hand necessary to determine the cause and fix the problem. It isn't a shortcoming in the Intel product. Searching the .obj files (and .lib files) for the offending library name will get you 90% of the way there.

I also want to elaborate on my earlier remarks regarding debug libraries. There's nothing wrong with using debug libraries while building debug configurations, but it can get messy if you are pulling in static libraries you didn't build. One big advantage of the debug libraries, that I alluded to before, is that the C library's get/free adds consistency checks with the debug library that can help you locate heap corruption, double frees, etc.

I will also point out that the debug libraries are NOT redistributable, so you can't (or shouldn't) build an application linked to the debug libraries and then run it on a system where the development product is not installed. This is especially noticeable if you are linking to debug DLL libraries.

Intel Fortran, unlike the various C/C++ compilers (Intel and MS), doesn't generate different code depending on your choice of libraries. This is why it is often a good idea to build Fortran static libraries with the "Disable OBJCOMMENT directives" option enabled so that the objects in the library don't request any particular set of libraries. This does mean that the executable project must pull in the necessary libraries, and if it's not a Fortran main program you have to manually name the needed Fortran run-time libraries when linking.

0 Kudos
acar
Beginner

I have taken Steve's suggestion from the following topic:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/520311

This seems to have removed all the conflicts and I now get an executable for my solution but it does not 'execute'!

Any suggestions regarding this - I've attached the buildlog?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Please describe exactly how you attempted to "execute" and what you observed after that. Did you see any error messages? Did the program hang (check with the Task Manager or the tasklist command line utility).

0 Kudos
acar
Beginner

I double click the executable and absolutely nothing happens - no error messages, no hanging (no evidence of the process in the Task Manager).

0 Kudos
acar
Beginner

The program does run in debug mode - bizarre!!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Run the program from a command prompt window and see if you get any messages.

0 Kudos
acar
Beginner

Absolutely nothing when I attempt to run the program from the command prompt...

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Does this program look for input files and exit if it doesn't find any?

0 Kudos
acar
Beginner

Nope, as noted earlier it works perfectly well when run in debug mode.  It is an analysis program which throws up a dialog requesting the user to select either an existing database file or create a new one.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I suppose the next step is to look at the Windows error log to see if it shows an application error for this program. In the Windows search box, type "error log" and click on View error logs. Select Windows Logs > Applications.

0 Kudos
acar
Beginner

The error log shows:

EFESYS.exe - System Error
      The program can't start because mkl_rt.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. 

I did need to add mkl_rt.lib to get my application to link.  But I have not requested mkl_rt.dll in the linker so I don't know where it is getting this idea from.  Anyway, the application works in debug mode although it might be the case that when I ran it I didn't use the parts of the program that used the mkl libraries.  

Anyway, when I search for mkl_rt.dll there are several instances found so the error is not actually true.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

One doesn't link to DLLs, you link to the export library. By default, the folders containing MKL's DLLs aren't added to PATH - you must do that yourself. 

0 Kudos
acar
Beginner

True.  I've added the following path in the linker:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.2.187\windows\redist\ia32_win\mkl

Same problem exists...

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

DLLs are located and loaded when your program is run, not by the linker.  The directory containing the DLL should be added to your PATH.

0 Kudos
acar
Beginner

Thanks IanH.  That has solved the problem.  

Okay chaps I would like to thank you all for your patience and persistence in helping me through this issue.  I seem to now have a viable project with which to move forward in my R&D.  Software development is very much  a part-time activity for me and whilst I am quite adept at developing viable and efficient fortran code I do struggle with the issues we have had to deal with in this post, i.e., making the correct settings in VS.  I guess if I did more software development I would get used to dealing with these issues but as I rarely have to make changes I tend to forget how to do it.  Anyway, a useful and successful exercise and, again, many thanks for your assistance.

BTW, I am very pleased with the gift from Intel for becoming a Brown Belt developer :)

0 Kudos