Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Linker not found

Ambaprasad_P_
Beginner

Dear Steve,

I tried to compile a fortran module from the command  line using 'ifort'.But  i get a message "linker not found".Please help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I need more information. How did you start the command prompt? What version of Intel Parallel Studio XE and Microsoft Visual Studio do you have installed? Please show all the output from the start of the command prompt session through the ifort command.

0 Kudos
Stephen_J_1
Beginner

Dear Steve,

I have the same problem as the original post.  

When I compile with ifort, the error message is "linker not found" at the command line.

That occurs if I copy the *.for file into the ifort intel directory.  If I use my directory where the *.for is located, the error message is "cannot find ifort".

I have the latest versions of compilers and libraries 2016.  Definitely need assistance to compile my fortran codes.   

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Steve's post still applies.  A first guess would be that you didn't take advantage of the documented shortcut for setting up the paths which the compiler installs in startup shortcuts (details according to your Windows version).

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Do not ever copy your files into the installation directory. If nothing else, Windows blocks the compiler from writing objects to a folder under Program Files.

As Tim says, you most likely did not use the supplied shortcut (or ifortvars.bat script) to establish the compiling environment. This is described in the Getting Started documentation supplied.

Also, a general comment - I see lots of posts addressed to me specifically. I know it may seem at times that I'm the only one here, but that is not the case and I do sometimes go on vacation (as I did this past week.) This goes double for those who send me private messages. Just ask your question and you'll get help from knowledgeable users and/or Intel engineers.

0 Kudos