Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28657 Discussions

Linking Fortran Compiler with Abaqus: New Problem

francisco_cardoso
Hey experts,

I am facing a resilient problem trying to link the fortran compiler with Abaqus:

My OS is Windows 7 (32bits version), I have Microsoft Visual Studio 5 (Professional Edition), Intel Fortran Compiler 10.1.024 and three Abaqus versions 6.8-2, 6.9-2, 6.10-3.
I've followed all the standard instructions namely, setting up the environmental variables and updating the Abaqustargets/links. See pics aa.png and ab.png.

I know that both Fortran Compiler and Abaqus work because I was able to compile an independent simple Fortran program and the subroutines-free jobs work fine.

However, linking Abaqus with the compiler is not working... I've annexed 5 print screens that illustrate (I suppose) the problem (a to e).

Thankful in advance.
Francisco

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
According to the screens you posted, Abaqus requires VS2008 or 2010, while you apparently have installed VS2005, or maybe didn't install VS but relied on the VS2005 Shell provided with the old ifort. This seems to negate your assurance that you followed the Abaqus instructions.
If you intend to persist with VS2005, remember that you must install service packs in the correct order, including the special Vista/Win7 service pack.
I suppose 32-bit systems aren't the most commonly used for Abaqus.
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Your screenshot a.png shows Abaqus reporting that one of the system requirements has "failed". It follows that you do not have versions of the VC tools that are compatible with your version of Abaqus.

This thread concerns questions that are more appropriately directed to Abaqus.
0 Kudos
francisco_cardoso
I am almost sure that's not the problem but I'll install Visual Studio 2008 to waive that out. I'll give some feedback in 1 hour!
0 Kudos
francisco_cardoso
To be honest, I am more concerned about the fact that I'm unable to perform an Abaqus sysinfo and that odd error regarding Abaqus 32bit is not suitable to Windows 32bit
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
> I am more concerned about the fact that I'm unable to perform an Abaqus sysinfo and that odd error regarding Abaqus 32bit is not suitable to Windows 32bit

That is probably the result of sloppy boilerplate in the Abaqus script, written to handle the most frequent mismatch: trying to run Abaqus-64 bit on Windows 32-bit. In this case, the mismatch was the absence of the required version of VS, so the boilerplate message is misleading.
0 Kudos
francisco_cardoso

Stillnot working.

I've annexed a print screen to show that everything is how it is supposed to be but simply doesn't work

0 Kudos
francisco_cardoso
@mecej4: Okay!

Francisco Cardoso
0 Kudos
francisco_cardoso
Still not solved...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please contact Abaqus support for help with this. Your problem is with Abaqus, not with Intel Fortran.
0 Kudos
francisco_cardoso
Problem solved! In order to help anyone that faces the same problem I'll let you know the solution.

The linking between Abaqus and the Fortran Compiler was failingbecause Abaqus was unable to detect in which platformit wasworking (32-bits or 64-bits) and thus in which platform to compile. This was caused by the fact that one of the environmental variables -PATH - wasn't well defined.
I have no idea how the hell this happened but the following location was missing '%SystemRoot%\system32' from the PATH definition.
The solution was simply adding the referred line to the environmental variable in the Windows Properties.

Anyway, thanks for your time.
0 Kudos