Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

MessageBox is hidden

reidar
New User

In a win 32 program I use the MessageBox function to pass information the user. For example:

iret = MessageBox(NULL,'File saved '//""C,'TVA'//" "C,MB_OK)

I apply the function from subroutines and from call-back functions.

Some times it show up in the foreground as intended but in most cases the massage box is hidden behind the application's main window.

Can somebody give me a hint ?

Regards, Reidar

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Eugene_E_Intel
Employee

Hello,

If the first parameter to MessageBox() is NULL, then the message box window has no owner window and can really appear anywhere.  (See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winuser/nf-winuser-messagebox ).  In order for the message box to appear in front of a particular window, you need to pass that window's handle as the first parameter of MessageBox() function.

0 Kudos
Robert_van_Amerongen
New Contributor III

Reidar,

Try to use the result of a call to GetDesktopWindow as the first argument of the MessageBox call.

Robert

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That could still leave the box hidden. Ideally you want the handle of the current window (or the topmost window). GetTopWindow() will do that.

0 Kudos
reidar
New User

I arranged the code as shown below, in most cases it works.  I am questioning my use of hwnd in the call to SendMessage, see below.

case (WM_CLOSE)
!  Free the INFO data that associates with this 
!  window also, reset the menu.    
      hclose=GetTopWindow(hWnd)
      iret = messagebox(hclose,'OK to close the file?'//""C, &                     
!      iret = messagebox(GetDesktopWindow(),'OK to close the file?'//""C, &        ! Does not work
                   'TVA'//""C, MB_ICONQUESTION.OR. &
                   MB_OKCANCEL)
			if(iret == IDCANCEL) then
			   MDIWndProc = 0
               return
            else
               iret = SendMessage(GetParent(hwnd), &        ! should be hClose rather than hwnd ?
                   WM_MDISETMENU,ghMenu,ghMenuWindow)                                       
               iret = DrawMenuBar(GetParent(GetParent(hwnd))) 
               hInfo = GetWindowLong(hClose, 0)
               iret = LocalFree(hInfo)
			end if

0 Kudos
Eugene_E_Intel
Employee

reidar wrote:

I arranged the code as shown below, in most cases it works.  I am questioning my use of hwnd in the call to SendMessage, see below.

WM_MDISETMENU must be sent to the MDI window with a menu.  Not knowing, how your windows are structured and their child-parent relationships, it's hard to give advice.

I recommend that when you originally create MDI window, you save its handle somewhere and then use that handle to send WM_MDISETMENU message.

0 Kudos