Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28593 Discussions

Microsoft Visual Studio - "Parse File" message

rafadix08
Beginner
Every time I type a letter on my source code (which belongs to a project) I have a message appearing in the bottom bar that reads "Parse file directory\\filename". It became quite distracting an annoying. Would anyone know what is going on and how to get around that?
Curiously, if I open source files without linking them to a project, this problem is not there.
Many thanks,
Rafael
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This is the feature that lets you do things like "Go to declaration", "Find all references" and more. If you don't want these features, set all the entries under Tools > Options > Text Editor > Fortran > Advanced to False.
0 Kudos
rafadix08
Beginner
Many thanks, Steve. I just set all entries to False, but the "Parse file" messages keep coming and going as a type. Would you have any other suggestion? Again, I only have that once I am working on a project. If the source code is not linked to a project, that does not happen.
I recently started to receive a "Visual Studio has encountered an exception. This may be caused by an extension, etc..." I can still debug and run my code. Should I worry about it?
Thank you,
Rafael
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You have to restart Visual Studio to make the changes take effect.

For the error, please make sure you have the latest compiler installed - Update 10. Update 11 should be available within the next week or so.
0 Kudos
rafadix08
Beginner
I restarted it and the problem I mentioned persists. I still get the "Parse file" messages blinking at the bottom bar.
In response to your suggestion, I updated the compiler and the error message is now gone. Thank you.
0 Kudos
rafadix08
Beginner
I think I got it now: the Disable Database option must be turned to 'True' and not to 'False'.
Thanks again.
0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II
I can understand that its a good idea to advise the user that files are being parsed during the initial "you've just opened a project" phase when there's a big chunk of background work going on, but after that phase having that message flash up for every key-press seems a little excessive.
0 Kudos