Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Missing Linker in Visual Fortran 2017 installation with VS 2017

barhen__jacob
Beginner

With Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 (community edition) in place, I attempted to install Intel Visual Fortran 2017 (update 4). No errors were reported during the installation process. However, once I opened the project "properties" tab, the Linker was missing, and the build reported an error (rc.exe not found). What do I need to do to correct?

Jacob

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

In case the other posts about finding rc with VS2017 don't help, I'll point out that the paths to link.exe are entirely different from previous VS releases.  You will note the 4 permutations of

Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.10.25017/bin/HostX64/x64/link.exe and those in HostX86 and x86 subfolders.  I suppose HostX64\x64 is equivalent to the past amd_64 (64-bit host and target).  I don't know whether the Community part of the path is unique to the Community release of VS. 

I think the link.exe which worked with  VS2015 will work as well with VS2017.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

VS2017's default install doesn't include C++ support, which is what supplies the missing stuff. Go back in to the VS2017 install and select C++ Desktop Application support.

0 Kudos
barhen__jacob
Beginner

Thank you Steve and Tim. Steve: your recommendation was very helpful. Now all works fine.

Jacob

0 Kudos
Beatriz_F_
Beginner

Hi!

This morning, when I have tried to compile my files throught Visual Studio I have obtenied this message "error product support for your (COMP-FW) license has expired.

In June 2016 I installed "Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3 Cluster Edition" and then " Visual Studio 2015". 

How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks for your time,

Beatriz 

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Beatriz F. wrote:

Hi!

This morning, when I have tried to compile my files throught Visual Studio I have obtenied this message "error product support for your (COMP-FW) license has expired.

In June 2016 I installed "Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3 Cluster Edition" and then " Visual Studio 2015". 

How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks for your time,

Beatriz 

Hi Beatriz,

Please submit a Support Ticket. via our Online Service Center at https://supporttickets.intel.com/  
Instructions on how to file a ticket are available here: 
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-create-a-support-request-at-online-service-center  

0 Kudos
Beatriz_F_
Beginner

Hi again:

First of all thanks for the support.

How can I obtain a Support Ticket? Can I download a student license for a whole year-period?

Many thanks in advance,

Beatriz

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Beatriz, see the links in Devorah's post above if you want to make a request to Intel Support. Student licenses are for one year and you must reapply each year. For the application see https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software/student

0 Kudos
Beatriz_F_
Beginner

Hi Steve:

Thanks so much for the assistance. I just reapplied for a new Student License in the link you provide me and it works.

Beatriz

0 Kudos
Fi__Beatriz
Beginner

Hi!

I am trying to install Intel Parallel Studio XE. However, when the package is downloaded and I try to execute the file the following error appear "crc is mismatched". I have tried to install the following versions of Intel Parallel:

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016. Update 3 Cluster Edition

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017. 

Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019. Update 3 Cluster Edition

and unfortunately, the message "crc is mismatched" always appear. I have Windows 10 in my computer, (x64) i7. How can I solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Something on your computer is corrupting the downloads. It could be malware. This is, however, unrelated to the topic of this forum thread. Please open a new thread (or contact Intel Support) if you need more help with this problem.

0 Kudos
Fi__Beatriz
Beginner

Hi everybody:

First of all, many thanks for the answer. Finally I could install Intel Paralell 2017 update 8. However, I could not install Visual Studio to run it in my computer. I have tried it with versions: 2012, 2013, 2015 & 2017 from Microsoft website unsuccessfully. I have not problems with the downloads but with the installation. When I try to install Visual Studio the following errors appear:

Error 1: error state 0xc0000020

The file is not prepare to install in Windows or it is damage.

Error 2: An exception ‘<Module>’ in the initialization was happened.

How can I solve it?

Thanks a lot in advance,

B

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This is not an Intel Fortran issue, but it reads to me as if the installer you are using is corrupted. Given that you have tried many different versions, it makes me wonder if you have malware on your computer that is damaging the install executables. 

0 Kudos