Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Missing optional pre-requisites during installation of Intel Fortran

PF59
Novice

During installation of Intel Fortran Compiler on Parallel_Visual_Studio_xe_2020, I have an warning:

Missing optional prerequisites

--missing system commands

--32-bit libraries not found

Should I skip the prerequisites [default], or deal with it?  How to deal with it?

Thanks.

PF59

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

This is an old reference that may be of help:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/error-while-loading-shared-libraries-libimf-so/td-p/740546

While you are using Linux.... On Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\linux\compiler\lib\intel64_lin\libimf.so

I suggest you locate where libimf.so is residing, then use (export) the path into LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Jim Dempsey

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
PF59
Novice

I found the following from the installation message:

The following required for installation command are missing:

g++

What should I do?  Is this an Intel issue or ubuntu (my system) issue?

Thanks.

PF59

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It's your configuration issue. Intel Fortran requires g++ (part of gcc) installed, and the installer couldn't find it. The 32-bit libraries aren't needed unless you want to build 32-bit applications. I don't know what it wants for command line things, and, annoyingly, the Installation Guide says nothing about these or other prerequisites (even though there is a section with that as a heading.) The Release notes say only:

"Development for a 32-bit target on a 64-bit host may require optional library components
(ia32-libs, lib32gcc1, lib32stdc++6, libc6-dev-i386, gcc-multilib, g++-multilib) to be installed
from your Linux distribution."

0 Kudos
PF59
Novice

Steve,  Thanks for the timely help.  This is my new laptop with ubuntu.  I only received the laptop with the power charge line, no other system support disks or linsk.  If the g++ is configuration issue, how should I solve it?  Should I re-intall the ubuntu? or any other means?

Thanks.

PF59 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
PF59
Novice

Steve,  I have successfully installed gcc and g++ onto my ubuntu laptop.  I then installed the Intel Fortran Compiler with no warning for the g++ missing anymore.  I then did the following two commands:

source /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020/bin/linux/compilervars.sh intel64

source /opt/intel/parallel_visual_studio_xe_2020/bin/psxevars.sh intel64

Tried to compile hello.f90 in my own folder

/home/pfwang/hello.f90 

I got the error messages:

Command 'ifort' not found, did you mean

command 'isort' from deb isort

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

Thanks.

PF59

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You don't need both those commands. Normally I would suggest:

source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64

Look on your system to see if ifort is there as an executable. I will note that Linux is not my strong point - perhaps others can help you better.

0 Kudos
PF59
Novice

Steve,  Thank you. You have helped us a lot already, provided solutions on many road-blocking issues. 

Now I am able to ifort in my personal folder, the system recognizes 'ifort'.

However, here is what a legacy procedures of compiling myfile.f90 result in:

ifort -O3  -module ./mod -c myfile.f90
ifort -O3  -o .//myfile.x myfile.o
ld: /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.1.217/linux/bin/intel64/../../lib/LLVMgold.so: error loading plugin: libimf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

We have been using these compiling procedures successfully on another ubuntu laptop with Intel Fortran Compiler for over 2 years.  The person who installed that laptop left.

Thanks.
PF59
0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I would not have expected an LLVM reference from the normal ifort. Have you by any chance installed any of the new OneAPI tools? This is REALLY outside of my experience (remember that I retired 3-1/2 years ago). It would be interesting to see what you get if you add -logo to the ifort commands.

I really hope one of the Intel folk jump in here to help. I have done about as much as I can.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

This is an old reference that may be of help:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/error-while-loading-shared-libraries-libimf-so/td-p/740546

While you are using Linux.... On Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166\linux\compiler\lib\intel64_lin\libimf.so

I suggest you locate where libimf.so is residing, then use (export) the path into LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos