Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Most appropriate combination of Visual Studio and Intel Parallel Studio XE

rase
New Contributor I

I bought a new desktop running Windows 10 and have to set up  the proper Microsoft Visual Studio and Intel Parallel Studio XE versions. The Fortran modules also call subprograms from the graphics library Winteracter V12.

Intel Parallel studio files (with valid license):
parallel_studio_xe_2018_composer_edition_setup.exe, up to update 3
parallel_studio_xe_2017_composer_edition_setup.exe, up to update 6
parallel_studio_xe_2016_update5_composer_edition_setup.exe

Microsoft Visual Studio:
VS 2017: vs_community__712061580.1531306644.exe
VS 2015: vs_community.exe
VS 2013: vs_community.exe, VS2013.5.exe
VS2012: VS2012.5.exe

My first intention was to use the latest versions of VS (2017) and Parallel Studio XE (2018), but that was not succesful. I got peculiar messages I was not able to interpret. So I would appreciate advice from more experienced users auf Parallel Studio which combination of VS and IVF is most appropriate and, if possible, works smoothly without further fiddling around. Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I have Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017 Version 15.3.3 + Parallel Studio 18.0.3 working fine on Windows 10-x64.

Generally, you decide on the Parallel Studio version first, look up the Intel release notes for that version, and ascertain the latest and oldest Visual Studio versions that it supports. If there are limitations because of your licenses or other software requirements, you take those into account and narrow down the choices.

Usually, Parallel Studio will work with the current version of Visual Studio or the one preceding the current version. If a VS edition was released while the Parallel Studio version of interest was being developed, you may have to use the previous edition of VS.

0 Kudos