Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Moving FORTRAN Compiler to a new computer

Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

I found this message from Steve from ‎09-10-2009:

"Assuming you have a normal, single-user license, there is no need to transfer a license. You can install the compiler on as many systems as you want, as long as you are the primary user. Just install on the new computer using the serial number.

Retired 12/31/2016"

I am getting a new computer. I  am wandering if this is is still the procedure. I have a simple so called "node locked" license.  Thanks for any clarification.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

1) All of the installers are "complete installers" - there are none that only update an existing installation. You don't need the license manager.

2) Yes, if the version you install supports both of those VS versions. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe-compilers-required-microsoft-visual-studio

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It is still the current procedure. I recommend that you log in to the Intel Registration Center and download the license file. When you install the product, tell it you have a license file rather than a serial number. The reason is that serial numbers are tied to specific versions and if you try to install a newer version that you're still eligible for, it will fail if you use the serial number.

If you run into problems with the license being accepted, you'll need to open a ticket at the Intel Online Service Center. Intel compiler licenses are typically not "node locked".

0 Kudos
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve:

Thank you indeed very much for your quick reply. Before I get into trouble, I have two more follow up questions.

1) Can I use one of the latest update files to accomplish the installation? Or do I need to look for a "complete_install" file (I did not see one) or a different file called something like "license_manager ";

2) Can I incorporate it to both Visual Studio 2017 and 2019 versions on the same computer?

Best regards;

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

1) All of the installers are "complete installers" - there are none that only update an existing installation. You don't need the license manager.

2) Yes, if the version you install supports both of those VS versions. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe-compilers-required-microsoft-visual-studio

Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve:

I followed your instructions. Everything proceeded as you indicated (used license file). Kudos to the developers (apologies to you and others who helped me in the last few years that I did not notice the "Kudos" button till last week).

I have two minor observations:

(1) The last step in the installation (77- Integration with Visual Studio  ... ) takes a little longer and progress bar appears to be gray or blank all the time. I would suggest to the developers either to use the progress bar or include a message that it may take few minutes. That would relieve the pressure on anxious users like me! -:)

(2) I noticed that the changes I made in the property manager in Visual Studio 2017 indicating location of libraries etc automatically showed up in 2019. I wonder how?

Thank you again very much.

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That long VS integration phase is being performed by a Microsoft tool that the compiler installer has no insight into. My recollection is that the message does say this can take several minutes.

My experience is that I had to manually update library location preferences - if it happened automatically for you, great.

0 Kudos