Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Multi Processor

truelies
Beginner
Does Intel Fortran Composer XE 2011 for Windows support multi processor? What should I do to modify a code to support multi processor? Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, it does. There are many ways to take advantage of multiprocessors. The simplest is adding the /Qparallel option, but by itself, it may not get you a lot. The Guided Auto Parallelization feature can help you with suggestions for code changes that improve autoparallelization. The DO CONCURRENT construct also works with /Qparallel.

Then there is OpenMP, which requires code changes. There is a large aection of the "Optimizing Applications" documentation dealing with parallelization.

There is also the Coarray feature from Fortran 2008, which supports multiprocessors by default, but requires the most code changes.
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner
Thanks Steve. Do you have a document on those?

Found it: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/compilerpro/en-us/cpp/win/compiler_c/optaps/common/optaps_intro.htm?wapkw=%28Optimizing+Applications%29

but this one is for Intel C++, anything for Intel Fortran?
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
All of the advice and switches in this article apply to Fortran also.

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You can read the Fortran documentation here, if you don't have the product installed.
0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner
Steve,

I can't find anyone for multi processor, could you tell me which one? Thanks
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
All our products apply to mulit processor. The document which focuses on the Fortran Windows Compiler is here:

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/composerxe/en-us/fortran/win/index.htm

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos
truelies
Beginner
This link includes all fortran documents. I can see

Optimizing Applications

and
Creating Parallel Applications

Which one is for how to change a code to multi processor in Intel Fortran? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The "Creating Parallel Applications" link is more relevant. The "Optimizing" link is for general optimization topics.
0 Kudos