Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

New bug? Old code, ifort

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Code has been running well for a very long time (from Intel Visual Fortran Version 8 through oneAPI 2024.2). The code was even running fine today, but something has happened after a reboot.

The particular code in question, build with ifort (will test ifx shortly), fails in a subroutine prefix (iow before any statements are entered).

The code runs fine in single threaded mode in Debug build (no optimizations)

But fails with optimizations disabled .AND. configured to generate OpenMP parallel code.

The affected subroutine does not use OpenMP (no directives, but a module it uses contains USE OMP_LIB)

jimdempseyatthecove_0-1720195565320.png

The subroutine has no arguments, the assembly code on the left is preamble code when compiled with OpenMP.

One of the modules has ThreadPrivate data, and this is the requirement for the preamble code.

The subroutine is (in this call) called outside of a parallel region (later it will be called inside a parallel region).

Register info stepping through code:

jimdempseyatthecove_1-1720196673291.png

At the ...2326 location it gets an error reading location 3.

Other than for a system reboot, I cannot account for this symptom.

Trying ifx now...

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Compiling with ifx does not experience the problem.

I suspect an updated (different) OpenMP library/.dll linked in after reboot.

I do not expect ifort to get fixed. Just reporting this bug for others to be aware.

Jim Dempsey

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Compiling with ifx does not experience the problem.

I suspect an updated (different) OpenMP library/.dll linked in after reboot.

I do not expect ifort to get fixed. Just reporting this bug for others to be aware.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos