Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Nothing was changed?

luigi_mazza
Beginner

Yesterday, Ive installed Intel Fortran compiler on my PC with Windows Xp.

Ive upgraded my CVF 6.1 to Intel, because Ive upgrade my developer platform to .NET

Ive noted that respect to the past nothing was change and this is not always a good thing.

First, I see that Steve Lionel is still here, after many years, to answer to our questions and this is a very good thing for me.

Second I see that Intel compiler under .NET platform works for Windows interfaces (dialog, with button ad so on) works in the same way of CVF 6.0, and this is not a good thing; because now Microsoft make possible to C compiler to produce .Net executable working in the same way of Visual Basic. Is possible (is an expensive effort on a dialog form) directly from developer environment have directly defined the callback for the event, and all other items available with VB.

Instead Fortran contiinue to need the work of people that write external libray.

I hope in future Fortran will be really integrated, like VB and C, in .NET platform

The last item Ive noted, is that on installation CD are not many samples.

Have I missed anything or the situation is these?

Bye and good work to all

Luigi Mazza

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
A lot has changed - that you did not notice much change means that we did a good job of preserving compatibility with CVF.

I agree that there are no samples. This is something we are working on.
0 Kudos
luigi_mazza
Beginner

Dear Steve, thank you for your answer.

A part of my message was focused on a integration of Intel compiler in .NET platform (like VB and VC). Do you knoe or think that in future Intel Fortran compiler will integrate in the same way? Coub be a goal of Intel or is not importan for you?

Bye

Luigi

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Are you asking if we have plans to generate managed code? At present, no plans, but we acknowledge that some customers would like us to do this. However, we are working on making it easier to use Intel Fortran with managed code.
0 Kudos